Arnold Air Society works with the community

The Arnold Air Society (AAS) is a national organization held at many schools across the United States that gives the Air Force ROTC members a chance to serve their community. 

Emily Hildebrand, public affairs officer for AAS, said they're taught how to apply what they've learned in class.

“In Arnold Air we get to practice repetitiveness even more,” Hildebrand said. “We got to go to Tuskegee and practice different techniques we’ve learned in the classroom and put them to use, so that we actually know how to do what we’re learning.”

Over the years Auburn’s AAS has worked on many community service projects, but most recently they’ve been working with the Auburn/Opelika community.

AAS has been volunteering at the Humane Society, making military packages, cleaning up Chewacala State Park and doing yard work for a World War II veteran who was unable to do it himself.

“It’s not a requirement,” Hildebrand said. “It’s just an extracurricular to do if you’re in ROTC and wanting to get involved in the community. It really does make you a better cadet.”

AAS had a project last semester, a canned food drive, which raised 300 cans (456 pounds). 

All the cans they collected went to the Food Bank of East Alabama, and this April AAS plans to participate and volunteer in Relay for Life, Hildebrand said.

Share and discuss “Arnold Air Society works with the community” on social media.