The severe weather threat has ended

UPDATE: The Birmingham National Weather Service has given the Auburn area the all-clear. No more severe weather is expected tonight.

The Birmingham National Weather Service has issued a new tornado watch for much of Alabama, including the Auburn area.

The tornado watch, which indicated that conditions are favorable for the formation of tornadoes, will expire at 1 a.m.

With the issuance of a watch, the University has opened its designated storm shelters for those who have no place to go off campus. Greene Hall and RBD Library will be open as shelters throughout the duration of the tornado watch.

Classes will be canceled and normal operations suspended on Wednesday:

Local schools have canceled classes for the day on Wednesday, including Auburn City Schools, Opelika City Schools and Lee County Schools. The University will suspend all operations and cancel classes on Wednesday from 1 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Tiger Transit will also be suspended on Wednesday. Limited campus dining operations will be available for on-campus students. The University Medical Clinic and Student Pharmacies will also be closed tomorrow. Emergencies should be directed to the emergency room at East Alabama Medical Center.

Changes to SGA's Tim Cook event:

Tickets for the SGA's Exclusive Discussion with Tim Cook will not be distributed on Wednesday morning as previously planned, according to SGA President Jacqueline Keck. Instead, they will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis on Thursday morning at the Telfair Peet Theatre. Doors open at 8:30 a.m.

Students will still need two forms of ID, including their Tiger Card, to verify that they are a student. The event is not open to the public.

State of Emergency:

Gov. Robert Bentley on Tuesday declared a State of Emergency ahead of Wednesday's storms. Bentley's decision will allow for more emergency response resources to be deployed at faster rates if the storms cause damage.

“Alabama is no stranger to the impact severe weather can have on communities and the devastation that can occur when the weather takes a turn for the worse,” Bentley said. “I have issued a State of Emergency as a precautionary measure to ensure state resources are on standby and are ready to assist impacted communities should the need arise. I also want to encourage individuals to stay weather aware and have a method to receive the latest weather alerts.”

Share and discuss “The severe weather threat has ended” on social media.