Cops on Top fundraiser to be held Friday

Local law enforcement officials will be on the rooftops of Kroger stores this Friday to raise money for the Alabama Special Olympics.

The 2017 Cops on Top fundraiser will take place from 8 a.m.–8 p.m. at the Kroger off of Dean Road and the Kroger in Tiger Town, where members of the Auburn Police Division, Opelika Police Department and Lee County Sheriff’s Office will be raising funds and awareness for the Special Olympics.

Police officers will hold up signs on the rooftops and by the entrances in order to collect donations and sell 2017 Law Enforcement Torch Run T-shirts.

The idea for the fundraiser was generated in 2009 through state agencies, which requested participation from law enforcement offices throughout Alabama.

Lt. Kenneth Frazier has participated in Cops on Top since it began eight years ago and has attended the past three Alabama Special Olympics events through his involvement with the fundraiser.

“The premise behind it is to put police officers on top of the buildings to get the public’s attention,” Frazier said. “When we first started I was on top of the building. Now I’ve gotten a little nervous about being up there, so I’m strictly on the ground now.”

Along with accepting donations, officers will also be selling $3 lunches at the Auburn location, which include either a grilled Johnsonville bratwurst or a hot dog with chips and a drink.

All proceeds collected during the Cops on Top event will directly benefit Special Olympics Alabama and Lee County Special Olympics and will help pay for expenses such as sports equipment, transportation, room and board for athletes and payment for referees and judges.

Share and discuss “Cops on Top fundraiser to be held Friday” on social media.