SGA discusses communication, Richard Spencer

Senate saw discussion from organizations such as the College Democrats and the NAACP in relation to concerns about communication.

In lieu of Richard Spencer’s visit, Arthur said a majority of students found out about the speaker visiting campus via twitter rather than the Senate or administration.

“There is a problem with student body finding out via twitter,” Arthur said. “I ask that we improve some form of communication so that students are not blindsided and there is not some form of panic.”

President of the NAACP Shannon Arthur addressed the Senate and said she was disappointed in the line of communication with the University.

“It doesn’t work for Auburn, for as close knit we are.” Arthur said. “Communication with administration and students—All of us working together.” 

SGA President Jacqueline Keck used her time during executive announcements to answer questions about the situation. 

Keck reiterated the University's message and said due to public safety concerns from the Auburn Police Department the event was canceled.

“This is a great time for you to listen to other people around you and really hear their concerns,” Keck said. “As student leaders make sure that you understand this is a time to listen. To make sure that every member of the Auburn Family feels accepted.” 

On Tuesday, April 18, Auburn Police will be on and surrounding campus.

Share and discuss “SGA discusses communication, Richard Spencer” on social media.