SGA discusses football ticketing, tuition increase

Shakers line the stands of the Auburn student section of the Rose Bowl before the game.
Zach Bland / Photographer
Shakers line the stands of the Auburn student section of the Rose Bowl before the game. Zach Bland / Photographer

SGA discussed changes to football ticketing distribution and discussed an upcoming tuition increase, during its senate meeting on Monday, April 10.

EVP of Programs Faith Webb gauged the room regarding football ticketing policies for freshman students during executive announcements.

Webb and the senate discussed ticketing options for freshman, and the senate agreed it was more fair providing freshman with six games in comparison to two years ago when some students received full season packages, while others received four tickets or less.

“In my [first] year, when I registered, I was able to get a full season, but some of my peers were not able to do that. They only got three games for the year, so last year what we found was that students who got six-game packages weren’t able to go to two of the home games, which were bigger games,” Webb said. “But this year, [if] we gave a six-game package, that would either be Alabama or Georgia that they weren’t getting, so they would get Alabama or Georgia.”

SGA President Jacqueline Keck also announced a tuition increase over the next two academic years, which was decided on by the Board of Trustees during its most recent meeting on Friday, April 7.

Keck said the Board based the tuition increase on various factors, including faculty salary increases and new facilities under construction.

“Under the Obama administration, they changed the FAFSA due date from January to October, so the students that are need-based, [the office of] financial support can know in October what they’re going to receive from the government and also what’s needed from scholarships to cover their college costs,” Keck said. “For us to create scholarship packages effectively, we needed to know what tuition was going to be for the 2018-19 school year.”

Keck said the increase will be “a 3% increase this year and a 3% increase next year.”

*The original version of this article stated SGA unanimously voted in favor of the ticketing resolution, however it has been revised to state it was merely a discussion during executive orders. 

Share and discuss “SGA discusses football ticketing, tuition increase” on social media.