Sigma Alpha hosts 'Stud Auction'

The Sigma Alpha professional agricultural sorority hosted a "Stud Auction" at the Big Red Barn as a fundraiser to increase agricultural literacy in adolescent classrooms throughout Auburn. 

Men of Auburn University were encouraged to sign up to be a “stud” for the event and participate in the auction.

Each "stud" was auctioned off to the highest bidder after a brief performance meant to showcase their personality.

The winning bidder got to choose to go on a date or accept a gift card. The gift cards ranged from local restaurants to community activities such as movie theaters, the trampoline park and the Atlanta Zoo.

A portion of the event’s proceeds will benefit the sorority’s national fundraiser, Ag in the Classroom. Ag in the Classroom is national philanthropy that recognizes the need and focus on increasing agricultural literacy across the nation. 

Savanna Duckworth, Sigma Alpha fundraiser chair, said Auburn's chapter reaches out to local schools to increase agriculture literacy.

“We as a chapter go and teach elementary and middle school students where their food comes from and give them that exposure that they might not have otherwise," Duckworth said.

Duckworth said preparation for this year's event was hectic, but well worth it.

“This is actually our third year and I have had a lot of fun putting it together,” Duckworth said. “So far we have made $800 and our goal is to make $3,000. Hopefully we can pull that out.”

The first year the fundraiser made $5,000 dollars. Duckworth said the sponsorship has a great deal to do with these earnings. Alpha Insurance and other businesses contributed to donations including all of the gift cards given out during the event.

President of the Student Council for the College of Agriculture Will Wendland was the highest bid on stud for this year’s event with a bid of $100.

Wendland said this was his second year participating in the auction.

“It’s a part of Ag week and I am trying to be as involved as I possibly can with that,” Wendland said. “It’s a philanthropy event so it is for a good cause and it’s not too tough to embarrass yourself a little but, you get up on the stage and act like a fool to raise a lot of money.”

Share and discuss “Sigma Alpha hosts 'Stud Auction'” on social media.