Sarah's style: how to dress for the holidays

With the holidays comes visions of ribbon-wrapped Christmas trees, gingerbread houses and sparkling New Year’s Eve parties. Finding the perfect outfit that fits the joyous season of holiday parties can seem daunting, but this year’s trends make it simple.

Velvet has been all the rage lately and can definitely be continued into the holiday break. From velvet shoes, dresses and even suits, almost anything comes in the rich texture. I own an emerald green velvet minidress that always reminds me of Christmas time. Paired with a classic set of heels, it's an easy outfit that makes a statement.

One of my newest favorite trends is the embellished heel. I recently ordered a pair from that have black velvet straps and a 3-D embellished heel, covered in gems and flowers. Any simple dress can be taken to the next level with a statement shoe.

Silky slip dresses are the perfect no-stress outfit for any occasion. The dresses can be long or short and come in almost every color. Paired over another one of winter’s biggest trends, sheer fabrics, the dresses are truly unique. Urban Outfitters has several long-sleeved sheer tops, ranging from nude mesh to sequin-embellished fabric.

Menswear staples such as suits and tuxedo tops have transformed into one of the season’s most popular holiday styles. Tuxedo dresses display timeless class with a fresh level of confidence. I currently have my eye on a rich burgundy velvet suit-style jacket. It wears like a cardigan, but looks like an oversized sport coat.

Jennifer Lawrence recently walked the red carpet wearing a sweater and skirt set. Christmas time is chilly and what better way to block the cold than a fuzzy sweater. Paired with a tulle skirt, a white sweater is almost angelic. I’m loving midi-length pleated skirts, which could be super fun under an oversized sweater.

Another shoe favorite of mine is a classic loafer. Loafers come in many different styles, ranging from embellished velvet to text-covered fabric and can change the entire feel of an outfit. They can also be paired with any kind of pant, skirt or dress.

An easy trick to dress up any outfit for a holiday event is to accessorize with a piece of grosgrain or velvet ribbon. It can be woven into a simple ponytail or tied on the strap of a shoulder bag. Adding a small bow to the belt loop of trusty jeans also provides some holiday cheer.

No matter what the occasion, the holiday season always reminds me of thick fabrics and cozy knits, as well as rich colors and textures. It is a time where one can really experiment with their closet. Hopefully some of these suggestions will provide some Christmas inspiration. 

Share and discuss “Sarah's style: how to dress for the holidays” on social media.