Auburn adds Nonemaker to coaching staff

Butch Thompson did not waste anytime finding his replacement for Brad Bohannon.

Thompson hired Brad Nonemaker, a former Auburn assistant, on Monday as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator. He will replace Bohannon, who was named Alabama’s head coach last week.

“We got everything we were looking for in Karl Nonemaker,” Thompson said. “We wanted someone with experience coaching and playing in the SEC, someone who is a great recruiter that could work with our hitters, and someone who is a great family man. Karl is all of that.

“He was an outstanding hitter in the SEC, he has a brilliant mind and he has been a successful recruiter and offensive coach. Karl has been at Auburn, and understands Auburn. That’s very important. We’re very excited to welcome Karl and his family to Auburn.”

Nonemaker played at Vanderbilt from 1999-2002, and was named a freshman All-American in 1999 after hitting .415. He was named All-SEC in 2000, and his career batting average (.369) ranks second in Vanderbilt history.

Nonemaker was an assistant coach at Auburn from 2005-07, helping the program to a NCAA Regional final in 2005.

“I am extremely grateful to Auburn University for giving me this opportunity and to Coach Thompson for believing in me,” Nonemaker said. “It is kind of surreal that I get to come back to Auburn, the place where I got my first coaching job, at such an exciting time. I understand the expectation at Auburn and can assure the players, coaches, and Auburn family that they will get my very best.”

Nonemaker’s career includes two years playing professionally in the Philadelphia Phillies organization and 11 years coaching at three universities; Old Dominion (2012-17), Monmouth (2010-11) and Auburn. He also spent two years (2008-09) working for Louisville Slugger.

Old Dominion was 162-124 during Nonemaker’s six years with the Monarchs. ODU won 37 games in 2017 and cracked the Top 25 for the first time in 10 years.

A native of Roxbury, N.J., Nonemaker was a four-time SEC Academic Honor Roll selection, graduating from Vanderbilt with a degree in Human and Organizational Development in 2002.

Share and discuss “Auburn adds Nonemaker to coaching staff” on social media.