The Amy Black Band brings Memphis sound to Auburn

The Amy Black Band returned for a second year to perform "A Memphis Revue," bringing old and new sounds with her. 

Presented by Sundilla Music and The Center for Arts and Humanities concert goers gathered outside of Pebble Hill with the show starting at 7 p.m. Admission at the gate was set at $20 but a limited number of advanced tickets were offered for $15 at Blooming Colors, Spicer's Music and online at Sundilla Music.  

Local favorite, Blackberry Possum, stirred excitement in the crowd as they opened the show. The audience clapped and sang along to the bluegrass music. Their mashup of four famous bluegrass songs they titled "Salty Joe and the Red Hair Scottish Boy" left the crowd dancing in their seat and laughing along to the music. 

Audience members were seen fanning themselves with paper plates and a few even brought fans to cool down during the hot and humid night. Free lemonade, tea and snacks were provided but guests were encouraged to bring their own food and drinks to enjoy the show. One family even traveled from Tallahassee to listen.

The Amy Black Band came on stage at 8 p.m. and opened their set with a cover of O.V. Wright's song, "I'd Rather Be Blind, Crippled and Crazy."

Amy Black's sound is heavily inspired by the greats of blues and soul music. Black's fourth solo release, Memphis, was originally recorded in Memphis, Tennessee and now she is bringing the album with her on 23 tour dates. 

"Music unites us, we all can agree we love good music," Black said to the crowd before she performed another soulful cover "I Pity the Fool" by Anne Peebles. Black said she never thought she would sing this genre of music, but she fell in love with the sound and hasn't looked back since. 

Along with cover songs, three of which she has on her album, Memphis, Black performed originals as well. 

"My favorite song of mine to perform live is "It's Hard to Love an Angry Man, " and it almost didn't make the album," Black said. "I had forgotten I wrote it and now it's one of my absolute favorite's to sing." 

Black's original songs are inspired by the likes of Mavis Staples, Bobbly Blue Bland, Otis Clay and more. She takes inspiration from her marriage, personal experiences and one song is even about the harsh realities of the Vietnam war. 

Black's husband is on tour with her as her drummer, and he is also part of the inspiration for her co-written song "What Makes a Man." 

"I wanted to create a song I was proud of," Black said. "My friend and I, Karen, started playing around with the idea of what makes a good man and we hope this song will inspire others to be the best they can be." 

Black said her album has a little bit of everything. Her song "Let the Light In" is about working hard and not allowing herself to fall into that feeling of darkness and try to find joy instead. It's about opening yourself up and allowing goodness and light to come in she said. 

Black said she hopes her album Memphis will inspire listeners to fall in love with the stories and the history that this type of music offers. 

Share and discuss “The Amy Black Band brings Memphis sound to Auburn ” on social media.