The story about a man who was too afraid to fly so he never did land

War Eagle Flying Team ranks first in several demonstrations. One of Auburn's most prestigious organizations.

<p></p>

It’s a great opportunity to get involved and meet people who share the same interests.  One organization, in particular, the War Eagle Flying Team, has been soaring at an exponential rate in recent years. Submerging into an aviation environment has its perks, yes.

Jack Tenbrunsel, freshman in pre-aerospace engineer, said he was lured to attend the first meeting for prospects because “It gives me a lot of options after I graduate, I have to ask myself, ‘do I want to build them or fly them?’”

Owning a private pilot’s license could be used as a vocation, or merely recreational use. No flight or aeronautical experience is required to join the team.  All majors are encouraged to join this exceptional group of young pilots.  

There is a catch however, “You must wash to fly.”

A lot goes in to flying other than just flying. Preventive maintenance, pre-flight checks, situational awareness, technical terms, scrubbing each plane one by one, all just to scratch the tip of the iceberg.

During a pre-flight brief this past Sunday, pilot Kevin Patrick, professional flight management major, said, “It’s really a privilege to have access to Auburn’s flight line, to make this all possible. It’s a huge responsibility flying these planes, but the adrenaline rush you get as soon as you take off never ends.”

The War Eagle Flying team competes in Region IX of the National Intercollegiate Flying Association (NIFA), alongside notable schools such as Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Pilots compete in various activities, both ground events, and flight events.

At the 2016 NIFA Region IX SAFECON competition held by Embry-Riddle, Auburn took home first place in four separate categories.

-          1st place, Message Drop

-          1st place, Power-Off Landings

-          1st place, Ground Trainer

-          1st place, Short-field Landings

Also this past year, 22 Auburn pilots flew to the Ohio State University for Nationals, to participate in several demonstrations.

This year’s Region IX SAFECON 2017, will be hosted by Auburn University.

Those with a passion for aviation, have an opportunity to increase that knowledge. For the pilots of the War Eagle Flying Team, the sky is the limit.

“As a freshman, it’s the best way to meet people who love flying just as much as I do. Just want to get some flight hours, and have fun with it,” Jack said on why he chose to attend Sunday’s first meeting of the school year.

https://www.wareagleflyingteam.org/contact

Share and discuss “The story about a man who was too afraid to fly so he never did land ” on social media.