Auburn sweeps Alabama State in home opener

After a successful showing at the Hyatt Regency Invitational last week in Atlanta, with wins over Georgia Tech and Furman, Auburn's volleyball team returned to Auburn Arena looking to build on their momentum in their home-opener vs. Alabama State. The Tigers did just that, as they swept Alabama State in a 3-0 victory (25-11, 29-27, 25-19), improving their record to 3-1.

In the first set, the Tigers came out strong finishing the set on a 19-7 run. The Tigers only allowed the Hornets to have 1 kill out of 25 attempts in the set.

In the second set, Alabama State came out with new energy, and held a lead for the majority of play. However, Auburn was able to climb back with 4 crucial kills from senior Courtney Crable late into the set, earning a 29-27 second set victory.

“I was trying to do everything I could, in my power, to help get us back on track. I wanted to bring the energy and do the little things right,” Crable said.

In the third and final set, Alabama State, once again, started with an early lead, but the Tigers used their momentum to finish out the game with junior Brenna McIlroy’s hard serve and kill.

“Alabama State did a good job keeping us off balance, and I think we got out of our game, but I thought some people stepped up,” Auburn head coach Rick Nold said.

“We were down, game point, a few times, and I think every player has to be willing to make some plays.”

Sophomores Shaina White and Gwyn Jones led the team in kills with 10 each with freshman Anna Stevenson tallying nine. Senior Alexa Filley had a wide presence with her game-high 38 assists.

The team travels to San Juan, Puerto Rico this weekend for the SEC vs. ACC Challenge playing No. 16 North Carolina on Sept. 2 and North Carolina State on Sept. 3.

Share and discuss “Auburn sweeps Alabama State in home opener” on social media.