COLUMN: Campus food rated by lunch time line lengths

Restaurants below are rated from longest lines and wait times to shortest lines and wait times.

Chick-fil-A by far exceeds its competitors with the longest line. However, do not let the fact that the line stretches to the Verizon kiosk dissuade you because the staff at Chick-fil-A and your hungry peers help to keep the line moving fast.

A good trick to beating the line is going during class times, either 15 minutes before or after classes let out to beat the rush and get your chicken biscuit inside your belly sooner.

Starbucks, yeah right. Pack your patience and determine if this caffeine boost is worth your time. If it is, which most times it will be — the Chick-fil-A rule of thumb applies. Go at off-peak times; 15 minutes before or after classes let out to ensure you will not spend the better part of your morning waiting for your grande iced white mocha.

For those of you in particular craving this caffeine boost; add an extra shot of espresso for every 10 minutes you wait to make sure your time was well spent and you are pumped for your day.

Panda Express takes bronze for its lunch time line that can easily outline Foy’s dining hall. If you find yourself in the mood for Chinese food or are just craving fried rice, this is the place for you. Its fast food set up keeps the line moving fast. If you feel you cannot handle the line, push the craving to dinner where the lines are significantly shorter.

Chicken Salad Chick has any type of chicken salad you can imagine to choose from accompanied by sides like pasta salad, grape salad, fruit and a plethora of chips.

While their lunch line can be out the door, once you smell their fresh and warm chocolate chip cookies, the line will seem more than worth it.

Au Bon Pain, or more commonly, ABP, is the campus’s Panera before the one built in the Mell Classroom Building. If you’re in a rush, stay to the right and pick up a prepared salad or sandwich or hot soup. If you have a minute, by all means wait for the hot and customizable sandwich that you can eat there at one of the many tables or take to go.

To satisfy the sweet tooth, make sure to get one of their variety of baked goods.

Papa John’s personal pizzas can bring about quite the line at lunch time. Customers can choose from cheese, pepperoni, the works, the meats and garden fresh.

These pre-made pizzas help to assure the line moves fast. Rather the more dissuading factor is the garlic sauce is not included and, in fact, costs extra.

Salsarita’s is sure to have a line at lunch time as this fast food Tex-Mex restaurant comes the closest to an on campus Moe’s. However, if you are in the mood for a quesadilla or burrito, it is the place to be.

The Wellness Kitchen may seem daunting, but if you catch the dining facility on a steak night, the line for the entre will far surpass the salad bar.

On the bright side, this unlimited dining option gives you the ability to leave that line, fill your plate with everything else and come back on however many servings later.

Plains 2 Plate is our campus’s gluten free and primarily local foods option. If you are feeling deprived of a vegetable or want grits at dinner time, this is the place for you.

If you have a later class and a taste for waffles, take advantage of the variety of gluten free waffles they offer for breakfast.

TigerZone acts as the second unlimited buffet option for students. Including its own pasta bar, stir fry bar and international option, it has something for everyone.

If you can handle the lines but not the prices on your budget, try to go at lunch for a cheaper price.

This also reigns true for the Wellness Kitchen, as breakfast and lunch are significantly cheaper than dinner.

Food Trucks rotate locations on campus and always offer an alternative to the permanent restaurants within the dining venues.

These lines can vary and are often their worst around noon, but if Hibachi or a cheesesteak is on your mind, you do not have much of a choice.

Village Dining contains multiple options including sushi, sandwiches, burgers and its very own market.

The facility has a variety of options and flexible hours in the evening and on weekends. Whether you live in The Village or are making the trek, your options will not disappoint.

Olive Branch is a Greek option offering gyros, pita pizza, salad, a variety of entrées and campus renowned mac and cheese.

The dining option closes earlier than most so make sure to get in those lines for lunch because it will not be available for dinner.

API brings Caribbean cuisine to Auburn’s campus offering a variety of authentic dishes including customizable nachos. If you are feeling a change from fried chicken, get yourself to the conveniently, centrally located API for a different experience.

Olo Sushi located behind the Foy information desk is a sushi kiosk that offers customizable sushi rolls.

The line is often short at this forgotten spot, so if you are in a rush or in the mood for sushi, this is the spot for you.

AFC/Terra Nova/AU India These three dining options are housed in the Foy dining venue and are never clogged up with a line. However, do not let this deter you from eating at these places, each offer something to campus and, on the upside, will not take up much of your lunch break.

AU Smokehouse is hidden on the other side of Plains 2 Plate in Lupton Hall in the center of The Quad.

It offers a variety of traditional Southern foods including corn dogs, barbeque, gumbo, cornbread and more. If you are seeking comfort food, search no further.

Terrell Dining Due to its distance from the center of campus, Terrell has some of the shortest lines.

It mostly acts as a food source for the many housed in The Hill, but if you are up for the hike, Terrell has an express Panda Express, Rye of the Tiger Grill, Kick 6 Café, a market and other rotating food options.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Campus food rated by lunch time line lengths” on social media.