Auburn homecoming weekend starts off with annual parade

Auburn fans of all ages gathered downtown to celebrate the 2017 season at this year’s homecoming parade.

The University’s parade is an old homecoming tradition and was revived in 2010 by the SGA to celebrate the Auburn spirit. The parade began at 6 p.m. and closed out right before Miss Homecoming elections closed.

The Auburn Cheerleaders and Tiger Paws started off the short parade, getting the crowd energized for the AU marching band following close behind them. The Auburn fight song could be heard for miles as the University’s famous band marched their way down College Street.

The homecoming parade attendees watched the five Miss Homecoming candidates ride in their steel carriages, throwing out beads to the children waving at them. The ladies will be presented at the homecoming football game on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017, and one will be crowned.

Multiple on-campus clubs including Spectrum, Best Buddies and the Black Student Union marched with their banners and flags, throwing candy to onlookers. 

Fraternities and sororities worked hard to build floats to pull during the parade, all centered around Auburn football. 

Before the parade ended, the Lee County Human Society marched with paws included. The group brought upwards of 15 dogs to march and hand out beads.

Aubie and Miss Auburn 2017, Ashley Moates, ended the parade in an Auburn City firetruck. 

Mikayla Burns | Managing Editor

Mikayla Burns, senior in journalism and Spanish, is managing editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn homecoming weekend starts off with annual parade” on social media.