COLUMN: Artists to look out for in 2018

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; text-indent: 9.0px; line-height: 11.0px; font: 9.5px 'Crimson Text'} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: center; line-height: 11.0px; font: 9.5px Lato} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: center; text-indent: 9.0px; line-height: 11.0px; font: 9.5px Lato} span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

2016 saw artists like Chance The Rapper and Twenty One Pilots make the leap into mainstream music superstardom, and with 2017 nearing a close, there’s a brand new batch of up-and-coming artists about to steal the spotlight.

Based on their heightened successes during 2017 and the new impact on their respective genres, here is a look at a few artists on the verge of breaking out in 2018.

Daniel Caesar

Coming off the success of his debut album “Freudian” this past August, Canadian-born, R&B and soul singer-songwriter has certainly risen in popularity in a short time.

Only a month after the release of his first album, Caesar has transformed into a budding star, debuting a new original song with industry superstar Chance The Rapper live on “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert.”

Caesar’s music can best be described as “smooth.” His voice, borderline angelic, is able to bring out intense emotions in the listener, whether sadness, joy or love. Caesar’s musical talent is evident – his ability to mix elements of R&B, soul and even gospel into his music only further demonstrates his superstar potential.

Intimate vocals, soothing instrumentals and brilliant songwriting fill Caesar’s debut album. “Freudian” is tremendously relaxing and is perfect for someone who wants an emotionally charged and passionate album to add to their queue. Caesar’s sound is comparable to a more acoustic Frank Ocean, and with the success that Ocean has had in past years, fans of the genre should be excited if the 22-year-old Torontonian’s next project ends up releasing in 2018.

Rex Orange County

You probably wouldn’t be able to tell from just looking at him, but 19-year-old British songwriter Alex O’Collins, who goes under the stage name Rex Orange County, is exactly what the music industry needs right now.

It’s nearly impossible to put a label on O’Collins as his music encompasses multiple different genres. O’Collins masterfully transitions through moments of pop, hip-hop, indie and jazz, sometimes all in one song.

His music is both jubilant and calming enabling his half-sung, half-rapped melodies to give listeners a truly original musical experience. At his young age, O’Collins has already made an impact in the music industry with a collaboration with rapper Tyler The Creator under his belt.

But make no mistake, Rex Orange County is not a rapper, despite the hip-hop influence and occasional rap verse, Rex Orange County is a truly unique artist, and his recent album “Apricot Princess” proves that.

Filled to the brim with lo-fi vocals, smooth, brooding instrumentals and melodic overtones, “Apricot Princess” is a remarkable album. O’Connors warm yet tender album is full of love ballads and indie-inspired melodies, which makes it an incredibly deep and excitinglistening experience.

O’Connor’s already impressive ability to bend and distort his music to fit multiple genres should be welcomed in a world of increasingly one-dimensional artists. Still a teenager, the breakout of Rex Orange County is imminent.

Whitney

Whitney has a chance to be the next big indie-rock band. The indie band made waves on the indie music scene with its 2016 debut album “Light Upon The Lake” and their rare sound make them an interesting breakout candidate for 2018.

Mixing elements of indie-rock, folk, country and soul, the music of Whitney is both new-age and reminiscent of music of great rock bands of previous generations.

With calm and chilling vocals combined with soulful and folksy melodies, “Light Upon The Lake” is a revelation for the indie-rock industry. Funky bass lines, soft acoustic guitar and the occasional trumpet pair well with the radiant songwriting skills of Whitney frontmen Julien Ehrlich and Max Kakacek.

If you took haunting acoustic songwriting of Bon Iver and added sprinkles of 70s rock influence, you’d get something close to Whitney.

With nothing but a pair of singles to show for in 2017, fans are hoping the band’s second album will come in 2018, continuing the distinct brand of indie music that the Chicago band is known for.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Artists to look out for in 2018” on social media.