'IT' gets a sequel

Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema are bringing a part two of the horror surprise of the year, “IT.”

“IT,” the hit adaptation of the Stephen King novel, will be getting a sequel on Sept. 6, 2019.

Screenwriter Gary Dauberman, who helped write the first film, has signed on to write part two as well.

Andres Muschietti, director of the first film, and his sister, producer Barbara Muschietti, are also expected to return to the same roles for part two, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“IT,” now known as “IT Part I,” focused on a group of misfit children known as the Loser’s Club, who band together to stop an evil, shape-shifting clown named Pennywise who is terrorizing the town.

The end of “IT” suggests the tale of the Loser’s Club and Pennywise is not over.

“IT” was a terrifying and heartfelt coming-of-age story, and the performances from the young cast were fantastic. Muschietti was able to elicit fear and humanity in the performances of the group of losers.

“IT” has been a colossal hit not only to critics, with an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes, but also at the box office.

According to Box Office Mojo, “IT” was produced for $35 million. The film has made over $268 million domestically so far with an additional $212 million in international markets for a combined total of over $480 million.

Due to this high margin of profit from the film, an announcement for a sequel was inevitable.

“IT Part II” will focus on the Loser’s Club reuniting 27 years after the events of the first film to finish off the evil clown for good.

With all of them having moved on with their lives and forgetting about the horrors they experienced as children, they will now have to face their fears again.

Due to the box office success, a sequel makes sense.

With the novel clocking in at nearly 1,200 pages, the producers have made the decision to split the story into two films, rather than fitting it all into one. The movies will be presenting the child and adult stories as separate entities.

“IT Part II” won’t be so much of a sequel, but rather the completion of the story that this year’s “IT Part I” started.

The cast for “IT Part II” has not yet been announced, but with it coming out in theaters in 2019, announcements are expected soon.

Fans hope it closes the story with as many scares, thrills and heart the first gave them this year.

Share and discuss “'IT' gets a sequel ” on social media.