New student leadership program by the Office of Inclusion and Diversity

The Office of Inclusion and Diversity or OID is forming a new student leadership program called the Student Excellence Team.

The Student Excellence Team will have 12 positions, and team members will receive a stipend. Some team members will be involved with Camp War Eagle and Talon Days, and others will work closely with organizations like the International Student Organization and the Black Student Union.

“We’re excited to launch something new and bring something new to the campus,” said OID’s Program Manager Jasmine Prince.

Prince said the Student Excellence Team is an extension of OID’s Student Excellence Program, an active program at the University.

“We do a lot of programming around a lot of different areas,” said Allen Sutton, Director of the Cross-Cultural Center for Excellence. “[OID] is not just for our underrepresented students, it’s for all of our Auburn students.”

“We realized that there’s a lot of professional staff that plans [Student Excellence] events,” Prince said. “But that these were opportunities where we could have student leaders plan these events.”

Team members will be responsible for coordinating events as well as serve as liaisons to various identity and community groups. Prince said they will serve as ambassadors for inclusion and diversity on campus.

“There is no perfect candidate,” Prince said. “There’s no cookie-cutter applicant that we’re looking for, we’re just looking for students to show up and be authentic and generally themselves.”

Prince said that team members will receive training during the spring and summer of 2018 and they will serve during fall 2018 and spring 2019. The team will also be going on a retreat as a part of their training.

“Being that we profess to be the Auburn family, every family has differences,” Sutton said. “What we want to expose through OID is that those differences don’t have to separate us; they can be what makes us stronger; they can be the ties that bind us.”

Prince said that the stipend may be provided in the spring, but it will undoubtedly be available next fall.

“Hopefully [the Student Excellence Team] will be the driving force in pushing inclusion and diversity among the student body,” Prince said.

Share and discuss “New student leadership program by the Office of Inclusion and Diversity ” on social media.