Pearl: Chuck Person's alleged conduct is 'unacceptable'

Auburn basketball head coach Bruce Pearl spoke out for the first time since associate head coach Chuck Person was arrested and suspended after being charged with bribery by federal prosecutors.

“I stand by the University’s statement, and the conduct that is alleged in this complaint is unacceptable," Pearl said in a press conference on Friday before the men's basketball team headed into its first practice of the year.

Pearl said he and others are in discussions about what to do with the assistant coach and associate head coach position now that Person has been suspended.

“When the staff has changed in the past, when there have been changes, there is a mechanism by which you can elevate somebody to the assistant coaching status, and we are in discussions about that," Pearl said.

Person and nine other individuals including three other NCAA Division I assistant and associate coaches were arrested Tuesday as part of a nationwide law enforcement effort.

The United States attorney for the Southern District of New York charged Person with accepting bribe money in exchange for directing student-athletes to money managers and agents if they were to make it to the NBA draft.

Person has been released from jail and has been ordered to appear in New York federal court in October.

Pearl declined to answer any more questions related to the investigation. Ahead of the first practice of the season, Pearl wanted to remain focused on basketball.

“I feel really confident in our players,” Pearl said. “There are certain ways you have a barometer on that. We're healthy. We go into the season completely healthy. We are physically much stronger. Our team GPA has never been higher. These guys have worked really hard. There has been a lot of discipline."

Pearl said he believes the team could make it to the NCAA tournament this year.

"I do feel as confident going into this season as any season I've had," Pearl said. "I've never in my three years been in a position where I've said I think I have a team that is good enough to potentially get to the NCAA tournament. I've never said that." 

Auburn finished the 2016-17 season with an 18-14 record for the program's second most wins in the last 14 years. The team added two 4-star recruits Chuma Okeke, Georgia's Mr. Basketball, and point guard Davion Mitchell. 

"We have a very strong foundation, and I feel like this team has a chance," Pearl said.

Share and discuss “Pearl: Chuck Person's alleged conduct is 'unacceptable'” on social media.