Pettway "frustrated" with injuries, less playing time

A mixture of plantar fasciitis and ankle injuries has kept running back Kamryn Pettway away from achieving self-prescribed greatness.

Two months ago, Pettway had brewed a plan to break the Auburn single season rushing record set by Tre Mason in 2013, describing himself as “quicker, more explosive.” In preparation, Pettway shed five pounds over the summer.

"I know I've got some big shoes to fill,” Pettway said. “But with hard work, I think I can get it."

Two years ago, Pettway was put on the roster as a fullback, finishing the 2015 season with a single reception for 12 yards. The following season, Pettway shifted to running back and led Auburn in rushing with 1,224 yards with a SEC-high 122.4 yards per game despite playing just 10 games.

Pettway has appeared in three of five games this season, but fell prisoner to the sideline with another injury suffered in a 24-10 win over Mercer. He returned to the field two weeks later for Auburn’s 49-10 win over Mississippi State, rushing for an unimpressive six yards on five carries.

“He is a competitor,” Malzahn said. “He hasn’t been 100 percent in any of the games yet, and I know that has been frustrating for him. We’ve got to get him healthy, and when we get him healthy, I think he will be in a good spot.”

Kerryon Johnson and Pettway have traded their fair share of injuries, with Johnson currently recovering from an ongoing hamstring injury. Kam Martin, a sophomore who has impressed with limited playing time, will hold onto the reins as the No. 2 running back until Pettway’s return.

Johnson leads Auburn in rushing with 300 yards -- a number that Pettway eclipsed in fewer games last season -- despite Pettway having four more carries. The two have yet to reach simultaneous success this season, and Malzahn would not clarify if Pettway would return against Ole Miss.

“I think with [Pettway] and [Johnson] -- we’ve got to be very smart with those guys in practice,” Malzahn said. “At the same time, [Martin] was also banged up going into the last game, too. We were able to rest him -- I think that’s good. I really expect all the guys to be ready to play. It’s just a matter of how healthy we can get them before the game starts.”

"But I really expect all the guys to be ready to play. It's just a matter of how healthy we can get them before the game starts."

With a different running back leading the team in rushing the past three weeks, stability in the backfield appears to be a focus.

Pettway, on the other hand, just wants to get back onto the field.

Share and discuss “Pettway "frustrated" with injuries, less playing time” on social media.