Auburn names new General Counsel after national search

Auburn University named its new General Counsel Jaime Hammer as the conclusion to their national search. Her appointment is effective Jan. 8, 2018.

Hammer served in the Office of Legal Counsel for the University of Oklahoma for 10 years, currently serving as associate general counsel. Hammer worked for national law firms in Dallas and San Diego before beginning her career at the University of Oklahoma.

“Jaime has the experience and expertise to move Auburn forward,” said President Steven Leath. “We look forward to her joining our senior administrative team and providing expert legal guidance.”

Hammer succeeds Lee Armstrong, who plans to retire in 2018 following 28 years of service at Auburn.

“Auburn owes a great deal of gratitude to Lee for his many years of providing expert counsel,” Leath said.

One of the three members of the Auburn Board of Trustees search committee James Pratt, a Birmingham-based attorney, said Auburn received a significant number of applications from highly qualified candidates across the country. 

“She is poised and articulate, and her extensive understanding of higher education and associated legal issues will serve Auburn well,” Pratt said. 

At Oklahoma, Hammer coordinates and supervises the delivery of legal services on the university’s main campus in Norman, while also steering strategic projects across all campuses. 

She is regularly involved in complex institutional business negotiations and system-wide policy recommendations. Her areas of expertise include intercollegiate athletics, diversity and employment policies, academic and student affairs, institutional strategic planning and university risk assessment.

“I am honored to serve Auburn University and the State of Alabama as Auburn’s general counsel,” said Hammer. “I look forward to joining Dr. Leath and the Trustees in their progressive vision to support and advance Auburn’s educational, research and business missions. I’m excited to become part of the Auburn family and to be an integral part of Auburn’s future.”

Hammer received a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry from Oklahoma and a Juris Doctor from the Duke University School of Law.

Share and discuss “Auburn names new General Counsel after national search” on social media.