Review: This Is Us

Two days ago I was just sitting at home, bored and in need of entertainment. I thought to myself, “I could start The Office or Friends again,” but that just didn’t seem like the move I wanted to make. I remembered hearing about the show This Is Us. At first I was confused by the plotline when people were trying to describe it to me telling me to watch it and I thought there’s no way I would enjoy this. Two days ago I swallowed my pride and decided to give it a try.

As soon as the first episode was over I was hooked. Normally it takes a few episodes, or even seasons, of a show before it pulls me in like this one did in its first 45 minutes. After the full 26 hours it takes to finish This Is Us, I immediately felt a void (I know, how pathetic). This show is unlike any other that I’ve watched. It makes you think without realizing it and the characters are so lovable that you don’t even mind.

What’s tricky about the show is keeping track of how everyone is connected. The premise of it all is how these three siblings are in a huge web of family members. And no, this isn’t just about a family tree. With adoptions and divorces and marriages and widowing, it’s truly impossible to predict what, or who, will come next.

Another unique aspect of the show is how it traces the family into the past and seamlessly intertwines it with the present. The series is a puzzle that is turning the family’s story into a Rubik’s Cube. With the teasing narrative, every episode comes with a surprise that leaves you needing to watch the next one (or two or seven) to figure out what happened.

There is a mysterious aspect looming throughout the episodes, however, it is not withholding information from the characters; each character knows the secrets, it’s the audience who is waiting to find out.

After a total of two days to finish this series, it’s safe to say I have fallen victim to addiction. I am impatiently awaiting the new episodes to be released, but until then, I’ll just have to keep myself distracted and try to fill the void.

Share and discuss “Review: This Is Us” on social media.