Leath: University will move quickly on finding next AD

Auburn's new athletic director could be named sooner rather than later. 

During his speech at the Board of Trustee's meeting on Friday, Auburn University President Steven Leath said the administration will move "fairly quickly on replacing [Jay] Jacobs."

"We're in the process of forming a search committee and in the process of laying out a strategic plan to hire a new athletics director," Leath said.

Leath said they will announce who will be involved in the search process next week.

When Jacobs announced his resignation, he said he would step down by June 2018 or "sooner if my successor is in place."

In his first report to the board in September, Leath said he intended on bringing a sense of urgency to the University.

“There’s one other thing on my to-do list that I’m working on, and that’s about culture, and culture is hard to change in an institution, especially a 150-year-old institution,” Leath said in September. “I don’t want to be too dramatic here, but many people who have worked for me have heard me say that there’s not really any sense of urgency in the culture of this University.

At the Board of Trustees on Friday, it was announced Bill Hardgrave will succeed Timothy Boosinger as University provost after a national search. A search that, Leath emphasized, took only 67 days.

Top candidates reportedly include NFL executive and Auburn alumna Michelle McKenna-Doyle and former Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville.

Tuberville has recently expressed interest in the job.

"I would love to help Auburn's athletic program," Tuberville said Thursday to WNSP 105.5 in Mobile, Alabama. "I don't think there's anyone more qualified than me. I know it. I know the people. I know the boosters, the alumni. I know the city, the community. I would love to talk to the president, whether I am a candidate or whether I can help."

Share and discuss “Leath: University will move quickly on finding next AD” on social media.