NCAA rules Wiley ineligible

Former five-star recruit Austin Wiley has officially been ruled ineligible for the 2017-18. The NCAA announced the news Thursday evening.

"Auburn men’s basketball student-athlete Austin Wiley will not be eligible for competition until the 2018-19 season following an NCAA reinstatement decision,” the NCAA said in a statement. “After an internal investigation, Auburn self-reported violations involving recruiting, extra benefits and agent-related activity.

“Auburn can appeal this NCAA staff decision to the Division I Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement. The decision is based on currently available information from the school, applies only to the individual eligibility of Wiley and does not impact any future infractions action. In addition, the outcome of this decision can be modified if additional or different facts warrant additional review.

“When a school discovers NCAA rules violations have occurred, it must declare the involved student-athlete ineligible and may request reinstatement for competition. NCAA staff reviews each reinstatement request on a case-by-case basis. At this time, Wiley’s reinstatement request is the only one the NCAA has received from Auburn."

Wiley averaged 8.8 points and 4.7 rebounds last season as a freshman for the Tigers. He, along with sophomore Danjel Purifoy, have sat out the entire season for their alleged involvement with former associate head coach Chuck Person.

Person was suspended without pay after federal prosecutors announced that he is being charged in a wide-ranging corruption and bribery investigation surrounding four top-tier NCAA basketball coaches across the country.

There has been no official ruling on Purifoy.

Share and discuss “NCAA rules Wiley ineligible” on social media.