University closed, classes canceled Wednesday

The University will cancel normal operations beginning Tuesday night at 6 p.m. and will remain closed Wednesday. All on-campus classes will be canceled.

The University will not be making a decision regarding classes on Thursday until tomorrow. 

Temperatures are expected to remain below freezing throughout the day Wednesday, which could keep potential ice on the roadways.

Auburn City Schools, Opelika City Schools and Lee County Schools will also be closed tomorrow, Jan. 17, the school districts all announced today.

On Monday, Gov. Kay Ivey declared a State of Emergency ahead of what is expected to be a serious winter weather threat Tuesday evening into Wednesday morning.

Auburn is forecast to receive winter weather beginning between 6–9 p.m. Impacts of winter precipitation like snow, sleet or freezing rain could be made more severe because of temperatures expected to be in the 20s.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “University closed, classes canceled Wednesday” on social media.