Auburn's smoke free policy includes vaping

Auburn University has been a smoke-free campus since 2013, but most students are unaware that this includes vaping — and “Juuling,” for that matter.

Joanna Thomas, coordinator of alcohol and drug prevention and intervention services with health promotion and wellness, said that Auburn has included vaping under its policy since the start, unlike other campuses.

Thomas said that although many students do not see a problem with vaping, it can be considered dangerous like smoking.

“There are no FDA approved vaping devices or substances,” Thomas said. “So actually, there is no one saying and making sure that what you are doing is safe. That’s why some vaping devices explode, some of them have been hot glue gunned together.”

Vaping juices can have nicotine in them, even if stated not to, Thomas said.

“That also means there isn’t a lot of research out there … or even done because it’s relatively new so there is no one saying that it is actually safe,” Thomas said.

Because vaping can be considered dangerous, the University included vaping in its smoke-free policy.

“So from my understanding, it was included because they thought it could be a potential problem, I think, and they wanted to kind of be proactive about it,” Thomas said.

Auburn has programs set in place to aid students who wish to quit smoking, or vaping. In addition, there will be a new survey released soon detailing how many students smoke, Thomas said.

“It’s really clear that a lot of students vape, but they also use a juul,” Thomas said. “And some people don’t consider juuling to be vaping, even though it’s the same, so we are really trying to get together enough information so that we can start doing campaigns and things like that. … I think that vaping in itself is just a few years old really.”

Auburn’s main program to help students quit smoking is called Pack it Up, through the Harrison School of Pharmacy.

“It was originally for employees, but students are also able to use it, and they can go and meet the pharmacist, and they’ll go through one-on-one counseling for cessation, and then they will work with a person and their doctor or whatever if they want to do some medication or a plan,” Thomas said.

Those who attended the program have been successful, Thomas said.

Auburn has websites listed for students and employees who need additional help or does not wish to come into the pharmacy.

Thomas, with Wellness and Health Promotion, is looking to create a vaping kit to educate students about the dangers of smoking and vaping.

The no-smoke policy is not thoroughly enforced on campus, Thomas said. Enforcement is reliant on student awareness of the policy.

Auburn’s no-smoke policy included removing ashtrays from campus and placing into effect a no smoking and vaping policy on premises. Smoking in a sealed, private car is allowed.

The policy states that those who do not comply will be asked to throw away their cigarette or other device and repeat offenders will be dealt with under normal disciplinary practices. 

Share and discuss “Auburn's smoke free policy includes vaping” on social media.