Malzahn to earn average of $7 million through 2024 under new contract

The details of Gus Malzahn’s contract extension with Auburn were released on Tuesday, paying Malzahn an average of $7 million through 2024.

The contract was signed by Malzahn, former athletics director Jay Jacobs and University President Steven Leath on Jan. 26. 

Malzahn’s new contract runs through the 2024 football season and pays $49 million total. Malzahn will earn $6.7 million in the 2018 season, a number that will increase by $100,000 each season. In the final year of the contract, Malzahn will earn $7.3 million.

If Auburn chooses to terminate the contract at any point, it will owe Malzahn 75 percent of the remaining compensation. Therefore, his buyout is currently $36.75 million and will decrease each season. 

If Malzahn chooses to leave Auburn, he will owe a coach’s buyout to Auburn. That payment currently sits at $7 million and will decrease by $2 million per year in 2020, 2021 and 2022. He will owe the University $1 million if he decides to leave after 2022.

The terms of the contract include Malzahn’s requirement to notify Auburn athletic director Allen Greene before engaging in any negotiations with other programs for employment.

Malzahn’s 2018 salary of $6.7 million will make him the fifth-highest paid coach in college football. Malzahn made $4.725 million in 2017 under his previous contract.

Share and discuss “Malzahn to earn average of $7 million through 2024 under new contract” on social media.