No. 13 Auburn wraps up undefeated weekend

Whether it was sloppy play from opponents, strong offensive play or a combination of both, it is without a doubt the 13th ranked Auburn Tigers got the results they wanted.

Entering the day at 4-0 with four straight shutouts to start the season, it appeared the success that Auburn softball has enjoyed in previous years would continue in 2018. 

A pair of run-rule wins on the day confirmed that theory.

Dominant throughout, Auburn jumped to an impressive 14-0 lead after just two innings against Tennessee Tech but the Auburn onslaught didn't end there. Four more runs in the next three innings led the Tigers to a 18-0 win.

Freshman Taylon Snow and sophomore Justus Perry led the way for the Tigers against the Golden Eagles combining for five hits and seven RBIs including a three-run home run from Perry in the bottom of the fourth inning.

Right fielder Alyssa Rivera added two more hits and a deep long ball from junior Kendall Veach only accentuated Auburn's dominant effort.

The win was Auburn's biggest win since a 23-0 victory against Arkansas in 2016 and earned the Tigers a program record five straight shutouts to start the season. 

Auburn's Saturday dominance didn't end there.

In the second game of the doubleheader, the Tigers matched up against Furman and while they did surrender the first run of the season, the Tigers played exceptionally well on both sides of the ball.

A three-run sixth inning and RBI single from Tannon Snow sealed a 9-1 win for Auburn as a total of 14 hits proved that Auburn's hot bats in game one were no fluke.

Five strikeouts from starting pitcher, Kaylee Carlson, the second home run of the day for Justus Perry and an extra three hits from senior Victoria Draper led the way for Auburn against the Paladins.

However, for some players, this win meant a lot more. 

Redshirt sophomore, Tannon Snow got her first hit of the season and her first as an Auburn Tiger since transferring from Washington University after her freshman year.

"It just felt great to get back out there, to get back in the swing of things." said Snow

Not only did Snow get the first hit in her Auburn career, but that hit, a long two-run homer to left center in the third inning, was Snow's first since May of 2016.

Snow, who recently opened up to the public about her epilepsy, the illness that had sidelined her throughout the 2017 season, was emotional after the game

"It has been quite the journey, I wouldn't be able to do it without this Auburn Family," Snow said. "The support is unbelievable."

After now starting the season 6-0 and launching an impressive 27 combined runs in Saturday's doubleheader, Auburn looks to continue its hot start.

Auburn will return to action on Feb. 14 as it travels to Troy to take on the Trojans. First pitch is set for 5 p.m. CST.

Share and discuss “No. 13 Auburn wraps up undefeated weekend” on social media.