Tigers drop two spots in final regular season AP Top 25

Last week, the Tigers plastered rival Alabama at home Wednesday and fell on the road at Florida Saturday

Auburn basketball fell from No. 12 to No. 14 Monday morning in what will be the final AP Top 25 of the 2017-18 regular season.

Last week, the Tigers plastered rival Alabama at home Wednesday and fell on the road at Florida Saturday. 

It was the first week in which Auburn (24-5, 12-4 SEC) played without its starting center Anfernee McLemore, who suffered a season-ending ankle injury in the loss at South Carolina on Feb. 17. 

The team's second-leading scorer, Mustapha Heron, also sat out the Alabama game with an illness, but returned against the Gators to score 22 points, second in the game to Florida's KeVaughn Allen (24 points).

On the defensive end, Horace Spencer has replaced McLemore's shot-blocking ability exceptionally, tallying six rejections in the two games without his teammate. Auburn's injury bug also bit Bryce Brown with a shoulder problem, which caused the team's leading scorer to miss action in the win at Georgia.

READ NEXT: SEC title dreams put on hold as Tigers fall in Gainesville

In the last three games, Brown is shooting 24 percent from the floor on 10-of-41 field goals -- one of the primary reasons for Auburn's season-low scoring output of 66 points against Florida. 

Auburn has two games remaining before the SEC Tournament: a road trip to Arkansas this Tuesday, and a home date vs. South Carolina on Saturday. If the Tigers down the Razorbacks and Tennessee loses at Mississippi State, Auburn will claim its first SEC Championship since 1999.

Share and discuss “Tigers drop two spots in final regular season AP Top 25” on social media.