4th annual Out of Darkness Walk has another successful year at Auburn

On March 25, Auburn University’s Student Council Services and the Active Minds organization hosted its 4th annual Out of Darkness Walk. The event started with registration at 1:00 p.m. and the walk began shortly after 2:00. The walk started at the green space, which is located next to the student center.

The event began with some kind words spoken by primary advisor of Active Minds and worker of Student Council Services Dustin Johnson, who explained the reason on “why we walk.”

The walk then proceeded, in which the participants walked to the Auburn Memorial, where a moment of recognition was held for those that have passed away. Along the walk of the path, statistics about suicide were placed for walkers to see and learn more about suicide.  

The participants eventually returned to the green space to commence the event, where Justin Mercer, former Auburn student and writer of “Hell Has No Stars: A Teen’s Struggle with Depression,” told about his life story to the participants and shared some inspirational words, which officially ended the event.

At the event, there were different colored beads for participants to wear, with each color having its own representation on how someone is/has been affected by suicide.

Strands of notes with butterfly artwork were hung at the event to express support for those affected by suicide. These notes were written by participants to share who they were walking for that day.

Many people contributed to this event and several teams were formed for the walk, with each having its own story for their reason for participation. The team that earned the most money was #MooneysOnAMission. The team leader Kelly Davis joined this event after the tragic loss of her own son, Clint Mooney.

“When I heard about the walk, I knew that this our place, this was my platform to try to make a difference in one person’s life,” says Kelly Davis.

Right after hearing about the event, Kelly Davis immediately decided to join and form a team that had its own customized, orange t-shirts for the event. Through Davis’s hard work, #MooneysOnAMission was able to raise $1,500 for the event.

“My son would be very proud, Clint would be very proud,” Kelly Davis said.

The participants are not the only ones that have been affected by suicide, even staff members of the event have dealt with struggles related to suicide. Zach McKinnell, one of the workers at the event, joined Active Minds after being personally affected by mental health issues.

“I, myself, struggled with mental health and I’ve had friends and family that also struggled with mental health, and it’s just a passionate topic for me,” says Zach McKinnell.

After discovering Active Minds, Zach McKinnell joined and became the vice president over the organization, which he has been doing for two years.

“It’s been amazing,” said Zach McKinnell.

This event served to bring awareness to suicide, which is the second leading cause in death in college students.

“It’s something that has been on our radar at the university,” says Dustin Johnson.

The event was able to successfully raise $6,955 with the help of 141 participants. The event also gave participants the option to “walk virtually,” if they were unable to attend and still wanted to contribute.

Share and discuss “4th annual Out of Darkness Walk has another successful year at Auburn” on social media.