Leath installation begins with student celebration on the Green Space

Steven Leath, Auburn’s 19th president will be installed on Thursday, March 29 as part of a two-day celebration, which began Wednesday on the campus Green Space

Students were able to enjoy Steven Leath’s favorite desserts and music during the student kick-off of Leath’s installation as Auburn University’s 19th president.

The two-day installation began with activities on the Green Space between 10 a.m.–2 p.m. on Wednesday, March 28 where students could meet and interact with Leath. A formal ceremony will be held on Thursday in the Auburn Arena.

On top of being able to make Leath’s favorite sweet treat of coke floats, students were invited to play yard games as well as have their caricature drawn on a canvas with a pre-drawn caricature of Leath.

The pep band, along with cheers led by the mic man, drew in a crowd for Leath to briefly address the students.

“We didn’t really need an installation to do this because it’s fun to get everybody out and have a good time, especially on an Auburn spring day like this,” Leath said. “You’re here for fun, you’re here to eat. You don’t want to hear too much from me.”

Abby Osborne, a cheerleader and senior in nursing science, was a part of the pep rally at the kick-off event. She was one of many students able to meet the president.

“He knows most of the cheerleaders and Tiger Paws by name, which is something that really stands out to me,” Osborne said. “I mean he’s out here playing cornhole with students. He’s just really invested in the people here, especially the students.”

If classic rock, Leath’s favorite genre, wasn’t being played over the speakers, student organizations were performing and bringing different cultures to the event. Performances included groups from the Mosaic Theatre Company, AU Cappella and Indian Student Association.

“I really liked how there was a diverse group of entertainers versus just like the band and Aubie,” said Breanna Webb, senior in information systems management.

Blake Zumbado and Will Heidt, sophomores, came from a physics test and enjoyed the break between classes.

Longtime friends and colleagues from Leath’s former positions are in town to support Leath through the installation period. He said having them here is a great way to show the University what has influenced him.

“I think for them to go around Auburn’s campus and engage with the Auburn people with something about me along the way or what shaped me or what influenced me is good,” Leath said, “As I learn the campus, it gives people a better understanding of me and where I came from.”

SGA President Dane Block was thrilled with the turnout at the kick-off event. He said the event spoke volumes about the president’s focus on students as well as the student engagement.

“Dr. Leath is so student-focused, which is why he’s here,” Block said. “And he realizes that day in and day out — not only him, but all the administration. To have this kind of turnout and have students come to a place where they feel welcome and have free food and drinks is what it’s all about.”

T-shirts were given out to students who arrived early as they were all gone by the first 30 minutes, and food lasted till about noon.

Leath, who officially took office on June 19, 2017, said he was nervous about the installation, but he likes the nerves because they keep him on edge.

“I’ve been at four different universities in four different states in the 20 years of my career, and this is the first installation I’ve been through,” said Bobby Woodard, vice president of student affairs. “So, a student to go through it in a four-year career does not happen a lot. It’s kind of rare, so we wanted to celebrate it.”

The theme for the installation is, "Inspire, Innovate, Transform."

Leath was unaware if an installation had ever included a student aspect. John Michael Roehm, assistant director for student involvement, said an event like this has not been put on in the history that he knows of.

“This is what it’s all about, just bringing people together,” Block said. “This is an experience that we’ll talk about for a longtime. We’re a part of history. It’s cool.”

Share and discuss “Leath installation begins with student celebration on the Green Space” on social media.