USA Today nominates Toomer's Corner for Best Sports Tradition

One of the most beloved traditions on The Plains has been nominated for the title of USA Today's Best Sports Tradition. The longstanding tradition of Auburn fans celebrating at the intersection of College Street and Magnolia Avenue after every home football victory earned the University its spotlight.

“This tradition is not only within the Auburn family but also within my own family," said Auburn Cheerleader Carley Bivin. "When I was a child, I remember being in my little Auburn cheerleading uniform and my dad teaching me how to have the ‘perfect roll.’” 

Bivin explained you have to grab the toilet paper and let some out in order to attain the 'perfect roll.' She said having the tail on it makes it fly better into the trees.

Out of all college and professional sports traditions, 20 have been nominated this year. Other nominations include the Chicago Cubs seventh inning Stretch, Cameron Crazies at Duke University, the Cowbells of Mississippi State, Hats at the Kentucky Derby, Terrible Towels of the Pittsburg Steelers and more.

The title is part of USA Today’s 10 Best Readers’ Choice, so the winner is decided based on how many votes the tradition receives.

Auburn fans over the age of 18 are eligible to vote once per day until March 5 at noon. The voting link is http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-sports-tradition/rolling-toomers-corner-auburn-tigers/.

“Rolling the Oaks shows a strong sense of community and tradition at Auburn,” said Director of University Communications Services Preston Sparks. “We are very happy to be at the top of the contest and we’re asking people to continue to place their vote so we can stay there.”

The winner of the contest will be revealed on Friday, March 9.

Share and discuss “USA Today nominates Toomer's Corner for Best Sports Tradition” on social media.