Auburn falls to Texas A&M in series opener

The No. 12 Auburn Tigers fell to the No. 11 Texas A&M Aggies 3-1 in the opening-game of the teams' final SEC series.

Auburn entered the game after winning its series against Arkansas this past weekend and with hopes of locking up a regional host NCAA Tournament.

The first three innings of the game were uneventful for both teams with the two teams mustering up one hit apiece.

The Aggies opened up the scoring in the bottom of the fourth, when Riley Sartain hit a RBI double to bring home Blake-Ann Fritsch. That was not all for the Aggies as Kelbi Fortenberry hit a two-run single to take a 3-0 lead over the Tigers.

Auburn starting pitcher Kaylee Carlson was pulled after the three-run fourth inning with Ashlee Swindle finishing the last three innings for the Tigers.

“She just didn’t get ahead that inning. She didn’t get ahead and her changeup didn’t work,” said Auburn head coach Mickey Dean about Carlson.

The Tigers were shut out until the top of the sixth when Alyssa Rivera hit a RBI double to bring home Brittany Maresette.

The score was deemed too little too late for Auburn, as their attempted comeback in the seventh inning stalled out after Taylon Snow grounded out with Victoria Draper left on base.

The Tigers still have a chance to win the series, and in doing so advancing their position in the SEC standings. Auburn stands at sixth in the SEC, right behind Tennesee and Texas A&M who are tied for fourth.

Auburn takes to the diamond again tomorrow with hopes to get back on track against Texas A&M. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m. CT in College Station.

Share and discuss “Auburn falls to Texas A&M in series opener” on social media.