Kerryon Johnson drafted by Detroit Lions in second round of 2018 NFL Draft

Johnson racked up an SEC-leading 1,391 rushing yards along with leading the conference with 19 touchdowns in his final season at Auburn.

One of Auburn’s all-time great backs has found his new home.

Kerryon Johnson was selected by the Detroit Lions with the 43rd overall pick in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft. He was the second Auburn player to hear his name called in the draft.

"This is an extreme honor," Johnson said. "It’s a great football team and I’m ready to get in and go to work.”

Johnson was named the SEC Offensive Player of the Year after carrying the Tigers to 10 wins and a berth in the SEC Championship Game.

Johnson racked up an SEC-leading 1,391 rushing yards along with leading the conference with 19 touchdowns in his final season at Auburn. He also snagged two receiving touchdowns, most notably a 55-yard catch-and-run to put the nail in Georgia’s coffin in the Tigers’ 40-17 rout of the Bulldogs.

General Script

Johnson was named First Team All-SEC during his final season on The Plains.

The Madison, Alabama, native finished his Auburn career with 2,494 yards and 34 total touchdowns in his three seasons for the Tigers.

"I’m very thankful for the spot that I went in," Johnson said. "It could be way later, it could be way earlier, who cares. I went in this spot and that’s where I was meant to go and that’s where I went. Props to those guys that got drafted just like I did. We’re all equally happy, I promise you that.”

"One of the best to come thru Auburn," Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn tweeted. "The @Lions got a great one!"

The Lions ranked last in the NFL last season with just 3.4 yards per carry by their tailbacks. Johnson will join former All-Pro quarterback Matthew Stafford in the backfield as Detroit looks to build on a top-ten offense last season.

Share and discuss “Kerryon Johnson drafted by Detroit Lions in second round of 2018 NFL Draft” on social media.