Local Dog Shelter Allows Students to 'Rent a Dog'

While Pups On The Plains has become one of the most recognizable and loved organizations here at Auburn, not many people know about their newest feature.

For just a small fee, dogs that are currently being fostered by Pups On The Plains can be rented and played with for up to a day.

Shelby Stevens, Auburn student and President of Pups On The Plains, said that the idea came about around last Valentine's Day.

Leading up to the hearted holiday Pups On The Plains posted on social media with messages like: "Don't be alone on Valentine's Day! Rent a dog!"

They also advertised renting a dog to those already in a relationship by saying: "Do it for your boy/girlfriend!"

According to Stevens, that message worked because during the months of February and March Pups On The Plains saw roughly two to three dogs being rented every other day.

"We got a lot of support, it was constant, and it was awesome," Stevens said. She also voiced her wish that this kind of program continue throughout the remainder of the school year.

"We would like to see it continue," she said, "but we know that some of our new dogs aren't ready for that yet."

Ironically, what seems to be limiting the organization is that their high adoption rate means that the dogs do not often spend much time in the shelter after they have had the desired two-week waiting period.

In that regard though, Stevens said she hopes to see another increase in rentals around finals as students look to furry friends to relieve stress.

On a more serious note, Stevens also addressed the possibility that some of the people renting these dogs may not have the best intentions.

"We did a lot of research before we started this and found the legal forms that we needed," she said.

The paperwork she described ensures that any intentional harm a dog receives while rented out is properly investigated and, should the need arise, prosecuted.

While the volunteers at Pups On The Plains have legally prepared for this kind of vile treatment of their dogs, they are still yet to experience it.

"(This program) socializes our dogs, gets them out with other dogs and people, and it gives our fosters a break," Stevens said, "It's a win-win."

As finals loom over campus, Stevens and all of the volunteers at Pups On The Plains will be working hard at the shelter preparing dogs to be rented to students.

One can only hope that by renting a dog, a student's week can be a little less 'ruff'.

Share and discuss “Local Dog Shelter Allows Students to 'Rent a Dog'” on social media.