Mod fashion show celebrates creative Auburn students

While most students associate the Auburn Arena with basketball or gymnastics, last Friday night the things being "sported" in the arena were evening wear, clutches and all of the next big trends.

On April 20, the Auburn Department of Consumer and Design Sciences (CADS) held their Fashion Event.

According to Karla Teel, an associate professor and coordinator in CADS, this annual event celebrates fashion looks which have been, "designed, created and styled by Auburn students."

Students from all across CADS participated in the event, which included a silent auction, interior design projects and merchandising vignettes in addition to the main runway show.

The theme for the fashion show this year was "mod." For those unfamiliar with the fashion world, "mod" was a British design style which was prominent in the 60's and features elements like hair bumps, plaid and bright colors.

Before the runway show even started, the front rows were packed with VIPs. The most famous among those at the front were companies like Dillard's, MAC and The Mint Julep Boutique.

The lesser-known but probably more important VIP's included proud parents and grandparents getting to watch their senior students' final project here at Auburn.

The show opened with causal evening wear designs which were then followed by the iconic mod looks before the senior capstone projects finally closed the night.

The capstone projects were where graduating seniors worked together to create multiple outfits which combine styles from two or more fashion companies.

These styles and companies ranged from Bestowal, a proposed Calvin Klein wedding line, to Mana Mara Hoffman, a line intended for socially conscious men.

Following the capstone presentations, three of the senior projects were awarded by a representative of the International Management Group (IMG) as either Most Sellable, Most Creative or Best of Show.

The winning projects in those categories were, respectively, Betsy Bash, Gucci Street and Valentino Birchbox. To add to the excitement, none of the seniors knew they were even competing for these awards.

"We didn't even know there was going to be that competition," said Davis Byrd, one of the designers on the Valentino Birchbox line. "When they came back to interview us we thought they were just writing a story or something."

Jacob Garcia, one of the designers on the Gucci Street line, said that being selected for these awards "gives recognition for the hard work that we put in."

As easy as it could've been for the audience to get swept up in the flashy dress and awards, Teel said that, ultimately, the event was all about the creators.

"Tonight was all about the students and their creative works," she said. "We hope to continue to inspire our students and to work hard for them."

Amid the chic apparel and adventurous design shown that night, all in all, the Mod fashion show was a display of the hard work put in by many talented Auburn students. It was also the best place to hear the words, "That's fabulous," completely unironically.

Share and discuss “Mod fashion show celebrates creative Auburn students” on social media.