The AU Science Cafe set in Jule Collins explores technological advancements in animal science

Tuesday evening at the Jule Collins Smith Museum, the College of Sciences of Mathematics hosted their regular AU Science Cafe offering guests drinks, snacks and science trivia to enjoy.

Guests were given little slips of paper, pens and pencils to use when writing down their answers. There were six trivia questions with accompanying multiple-choice answers and a true or false response for the last question.

When all the questions had been shown, guests placed their written answers in a ladybug basket, which would later be used for the drawing.

After the the game was over, speaker Sarah Zohdy, assistant professor in the department of forestry and wildlife sciences, took the floor to give her presentation, “Biology? There’s an App for That…How Smartphones and Tech are Revolutionizing our View of the Animal World.”

At the beginning of Zohdy’s presentation, she began by telling the audience her reasoning behind her participation.

“What attracted me to the opportunity to be a part of this book was the same thing that attracted me to the field of biology, the same reason that I love the natural world," Zohdy said. "It’s the innate curiosity of what’s going on around us."

Zohdy said the innate curiosity stems from the mysterious nature of the world.

“There’s kind of always been mystery around what lives in the world that we share,” Zohdy said.

The presentation explored the new technological advancements that have helped in animal research. Zohdy showed different applications the audience could download, which focused on animal research.

After Zohdy finished her presentation, guests were given the opportunity to ask her questions.

After the Q&A session concluded, the answers to the trivia questions were revealed and the drawing followed. Three guests were deemed winners for the drawing, and the prizes included various items such as a car charger and a cell phone wallet.

The event concluded with guests encouraged to explore the museum’s newest exhibit “Audubon’s Last Wilderness Journey: The Viviparous Quadrupeds of North America.”

Share and discuss “The AU Science Cafe set in Jule Collins explores technological advancements in animal science” on social media.