Auburn shortstop Will Holland named SEC Player of the Week

After batting 10-for-14 with six runs, four doubles, a pair of home runs and six RBI in Auburn's regular season-ending series win over LSU, anything less than SEC Player of the Week honors for Tigers shortstop Will Holland would have been a crime.

The sophomore earned the honor for the first time in his career after being named SEC Freshman of the Week once last season. Holland opened the series against LSU with a career-high four hits in Game 1, then matched that mark two days later in the rubber game victory.

RELATED: Auburn bolsters SEC seeding with rubber game pummeling of LSU

The Lawrenceville, Georgia, product's double homer day was the second such outing of his young career and gave him 10 home runs on the season. Auburn's offense has gone yard 64 times this season, the sixth-highest tally in program history.

Holland joins four other Tigers with 10-plus homers on the year (Edouard Julien, 14, Brendan Venter, 12, Steven Williams, 10, and Brett Wright, 10), the most players with double digit-home runs for Auburn since 2010.

Holland and the surging Tigers will open postseason play Tuesday as the No. 7 seed in the SEC Tournament in Hoover, Alabama. After the day's first game between Vanderbilt and Mississippi State, Auburn will face off with No. 10 seed Kentucky at the Hoover Met.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn shortstop Will Holland named SEC Player of the Week” on social media.