Auburn sophomore awarded prestigious scholarship to study in China

Nicole Hogue, sophomore in French international trade at Auburn, was awarded the David L. Boren Scholarship and will study at Capital Normal University in Beijing, China, and the Harbin Institute of Technology in Harbin, China

<p></p>

An Auburn University student has been awarded a prestigious scholarship to spend the next year studying Mandarin Chinese in China.

Nicole Hogue, sophomore in French international trade at Auburn, was awarded the David L. Boren Scholarship and will study at Capital Normal University in Beijing, China, and the Harbin Institute of Technology in Weihai, China, the University announced Tuesday.

The Boren Scholarship intends to increase the number of American students who study in nations that are underrepresented in more traditional study abroad programs.

Hogue, who's from Charlotte, North Carolina, is also minoring in Asian studies and military science.

The scholarship was established by former U.S. Sen. David Boren of Oklahoma and is funded by the National Security Education Program.

It focuses on geographic areas, languages and fields of study deemed critical to U.S. national security.

Boren Scholarships provide up to $20,000 to students to add an important international and language component to their education by focusing on area study, language study or increased language proficiency.

“I am thrilled about receiving the Boren Scholarship and I look forward to my time abroad and the opportunities that will come with it,” Hogue said. “I am grateful for the support the Auburn community has given me – specifically, the continued support and guidance from my Chinese professor Xiong Ying, and from my cadre from Army ROTC, Master Sergeant Chad Fisher and Lieutenant Colonel Roshun Steele.”

Hogue — who has a 4.0 GPA — is a member of the Auburn University Army ROTC “War Eagle” Battalion. When she graduates, she will be commissioned as an officer in the U.S. Army.

Hogue is a recipient of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures Catsanoli Young Scholars in Foreign Language Award.

She is active in the International Buddy Program and is a member of the Mandarin English Language Exchange Program, where she assists her fellow students in language acquisition. 

Hogue has completed the U.S. Army’s Cultural Understanding and Language Program in Madagascar during the summer of 2017, the University said. 

In addition to her performance at Auburn, Hogue is a graduate of the U.S. Army Airborne School and later this summer she will attend the Army Air Assault School at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky.

“Cadet Hogue will not only benefit from the Boren Scholarship in China, but as a future Army officer, the ability to overcome cultural and language differences is critical to our national security,” said Master Sergeant Chad Fisher, senior military science instructor. “I look forward to following her career in the future and know that our country will be in very capable hands with her as a leader of our young men and women.”

Share and discuss “Auburn sophomore awarded prestigious scholarship to study in China” on social media.