Mize becomes second two-time All-American in Auburn history

Mize leads the SEC with 140 strikeouts to go along with a 9-5 record and 3.07 ERA.

<p>Casey Mize sits in the dugout during Auburn vs. Vanderbilt baseball on Friday, May 4, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Casey Mize sits in the dugout during Auburn vs. Vanderbilt baseball on Friday, May 4, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

The list of accolades for Casey Mize continued to grow Thursday morning as he was named a First Team All-American by Baseball America and Second Team All-American by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper Thursday afternoon, making him the second two-time All-American in Auburn history.

Mize, who was also named an All-American last season, joins Gregg Olson as the only other two-time All-American at Auburn. Olson earned the honors in 1987 and 1988.

In 15 starts this season, Mize has posted a 9-5 record and a 3.07 ERA. His 140 strikeouts not only lead the SEC and rank third in the country, but are also the fifth most in a single-season in program history and the most since 1999. Dating back to the beginning of last season, Mize has struck out 249 batters and issued only 19 walks.

Along with his strikeout total, Mize also leads the SEC in strikeout-to-walk ratio (14.00), strikeouts per nine innings (12.27), WHIP (0.81) and walks allowed per nine innings (0.88).

Mize has turned in a quality start in nine of his 15 trips to the mound and gone the distance in three games this season. He took the mound on Mar. 9 vs. Northeastern and turned in the ninth no-hitter in program history while totaling 13 strikeouts without issuing a walk. The 13-strikeout performance against the Huskies was one of five outings with 10 or more strikeouts this season, including a record-matching 15 strikeouts vs. Vanderbilt on May 4. Mize joined former Auburn pitchers Mark Chapman, John Powell, Tim Hudson and Chris Bootcheck in the 15-strikeout club and was the first SEC pitcher to accomplish the feat in a conference game since 2012.

Mize and the Tigers (39-21, 15-15 SEC) make their second straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament as the No. 2 seed in the Raleigh Regional. Auburn opens postseason play against No. 3 seed Northeastern (36-19, 17-6 CAA) Friday at 1 p.m. CST.

Share and discuss “Mize becomes second two-time All-American in Auburn history” on social media.