10 Auburn students will compete in Miss Alabama

"We are proud to have ten incredible women competing at Miss Alabama this week," Brad Smith, executive director of Miss Auburn University.

Auburn University has 10 students competing for the title of Miss Alabama Saturday night. 

"We are proud to have ten incredible women competing at Miss Alabama this week," said Brad Smith, executive director of Miss Auburn University. "One of them being Miss Auburn University Karson Fair. We know they will be excellent representations of the caliber and character of Auburn women."

A team of faculty and staff work with Miss Auburn University each year to help her prepare for the Miss Alabama competition. Student Government Association members also help Miss Auburn University to promote her platform and make appearances in Auburn. 

"We are so proud of Karson and the way she’s represented Auburn University since being crowned last October," Smith said. 

The 10 Auburn women competing for the crown are:

• Miss Auburn University Karson Fair 
  • Miss Center Point Shelby Andrews
  • Miss Chattahoochee Valley Makalyn Heaslett
  • Miss Childersburg Annie Ozment
  • Miss Friendliest City Lenze Morris
  • Miss Heart of Dixie Reagan Handley
  • Miss Phenix City Stella Kontos
  • Miss Smiths Station Ashton Leddon
  • Miss Trussville Sammy Rizzuto 
  • Miss Wiregrass Area Courtney Willis

Each of the 50 contests in the Miss Alabama pageant competed in preliminary competitions Tuesday- Friday. The contestants competed in interview, swimsuit, on-stage question, talent and evening wear.

"One of the most important phases of competition to me is the interview and on-stage question," Smith said. "Contestants are expected to intelligently respond to questions about current news and societal issues, something we expect of all Auburn students, while also promoting their platform." 

All Miss Alabama contestants will compete in the swimsuit portion of the competition at this year's pageant despite the Miss America organizations announcement June 5, that the Miss America pageant will no longer hold the swimsuit portion of the competition. 

The swimsuit competition portion for any pageant in the Miss America Organization will not be taken out until Sept. 9, at Miss America 2018, according to a press release from the Miss America Organization.

Miss America and all of the pageants in the Miss America Organization, such as Miss Alabama, will also no longer be called pageants. Instead, they will all be referred to as competitions. 

The swimsuit competition will be replaced with a live interactive session with the judges. The evening gown competition will now allow contestants to choose their type of evening attire and discuss how they will advance their social impact initiatives, according to a press release from the Miss America Organization. 

“We are no longer a pageant," said Gretchen Carlson, chair of the Board of Trustees for the Miss America Organization. "Miss America will represent a new generation of female leaders focused on scholarship, social impact, talent, and empowerment. We’re experiencing a cultural revolution in our country with women finding the courage to stand up and have their voices heard on many issues. Miss America is proud to evolve as an organization and join this empowerment movement.”

Share and discuss “10 Auburn students will compete in Miss Alabama” on social media.