Meet the CWE counselors: Chad Barfield

“I love to talk to people, and I feel I can connect ... with most everyone. I like to just be a connector and be a people person,” Barfield said.

<p></p>

As the first in his family to attend Auburn University, Chad Barfield is now going to welcome new freshman to Auburn’s campus as a Camp War Eagle counselor.

Barfield, junior in public relations, said he connects well with people and has skills in communication, which has prepared him to be a counselor.

Barfield believes this summer will present new challenges as a counselor.

“What I’m excited for at Auburn, though, is to have a personal touch and an intentional and invested relationship with the freshmen,” Barfield said. “Not something that just lasts a summer and ends, but something that, if needed, the freshman can look upon me or lean on me for throughout the year for answers and questions or maybe just advice on how to do life.”

Moving in as a freshman from Marietta, Georgia, Barfield took a while to grow accustomed to life at Auburn. Before Barfield found true Auburn friends, some time had passed.

“I would just challenge the incoming freshman to, from the start, from the camp war eagle sessions, just be yourself,” Barfield said. “Really be invested, give Auburn a chance for what it is.”

Barfield recalled Callouts when he was accepted as a counselor for Camp War Eagle and the excitement that filled the air.

“We went, walked up the stairs, and I knew a few people, but what was cool was they told us to run behind Foy, and we all sang the fight song back there,” Barfield said. “It was something that I’ll always remember.”

Barfield is involved with more on Auburn’s campus than just Camp War Eagle. He represents the Auburn as one of the Plainsmen. In addition, Barfield has been a counselor at the Oaks Retreat, which is a Christian program for incoming freshman to get to know one another before they attend Auburn.

“I don’t think War Eagle is just a battle cry,” Barfield said. “I think it’s an invitation and a welcoming.”

Share and discuss “Meet the CWE counselors: Chad Barfield” on social media.