Pitcher Davis Daniel returning to Auburn baseball after MLB selection

"We have some unfinished business down in Auburn! I am excited to announce that I will officially be returning for my junior year on the Plains!"

<p>Davis Daniel (13) celebrates a strikeout during Auburn Baseball's Super Regional vs. Florida on June 11, 2018, in Gainesville, Fla.&nbsp;</p>

Davis Daniel (13) celebrates a strikeout during Auburn Baseball's Super Regional vs. Florida on June 11, 2018, in Gainesville, Fla. 

Davis Daniel has unfinished business.

Auburn baseball has lost No. 1 overall pick Casey Mize to a likely star-studded career in the majors, but will return Daniel next season, the righty from Montgomery announced via Twitter on Tuesday morning.

Daniel became the first Tiger off the board in Day 3 of the 2018 MLB Draft when he was picked No. 335th overall by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 11th round. The 6-foot-1 pitcher was previously drafted by the Chicago Cubs in 2016 out of St. James High School.

Auburn's Game 3 starter for most of the season, the rising junior kept Auburn humming along through extra innings of the Tigers' Super Regional loss vs. Florida, working out of jam after jam and eventually closing with 5.1 innings pitched, six strikeouts and one hit.

Daniel made a move to the bullpen midseason as senior southpaw Andrew Mitchell took over the starting Sunday role. Daniel seemed to thrive in a backup role however, posting a 4.86 ERA by season's end with crucial outings in the Tigers' Regional and Super Regional appearances. 

Rising sophomore Tanner Burns is the assumed ace for 2019 after pacing Auburn on Saturdays last season. After a rejuvenated ending to his 2018 campaign, Daniel could find himself in next season's rotation, which could be rounded out by a number of pitchers on the roster, including Elliot Anderson, Welby Malczewski, Cody Greenhill, Ryan Watson, Jack Owen and highly touted true freshman Garrett Wade.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Pitcher Davis Daniel returning to Auburn baseball after MLB selection” on social media.