Auburn preparing for 'locomotive' Washington offense

Auburn’s defense isn’t there yet, according to defensive coordinator Kevin Steele

Auburn’s defense isn’t there yet, according to defensive coordinator Kevin Steele.

The third-year coach discussed the team’s progression toward the end of fall camp Wednesday evening, emphasizing both how much work needs to be done and how soon the season starts.

“We’re not there yet,” Steele said. “It’s just the way it’s set up. We’ve still got some things that we’ve got to tweak.”

Steele maintains that the defense isn’t “game ready,” but deflects concerns because of the team practicing for just three weeks. What needs to be done, Steele said, is working on situational preparation and roster rotations.

In addition, Steele praised the depth available at linebacker.

“We’ve got three guys that are really athletic” in Nick Coe, T.D. Moultry and Big Kat Bryant, Steele said.

Coe is “big, long and powerful” as a “run stopper who can get it done in [passing situations,]” while Moultry’s athleticism pairs well with Bryant’s confidence.

“You’re better when you can have multiple guys and rotate them and not have to change the way you call the game,” Steele said.

Steele added that Bryant slowed down at one point during fall camp but “picked it back up.”

Despite not being game ready, both Steele and cornerback Jeremiah Dinson said they were impressed by the Washington offense in advance of the season opener.

Washington quarterback Jake Browning is returning for his senior season while running back Myles Gaskin is coming off three straight 1,000-yard seasons. Gaskin finished the 2017 season with 1,380 yards on 6.2 yards per carry and 21 rushing touchdowns.

“[Gaskin] can plant, skip and take off,” Steele said.

The most individual rushing yards allowed by Auburn in 2017 was by Texas A&M’s Trayveon Williams with 103.

Browning threw for 2,719 yards and 19 touchdowns with a 68.5 completion percentage in 2017 following a sixth-place finish in the Heisman Trophy voting in 2016.

Dinson said that he was surprised by Browning’s speed.

“They can give you the locomotive offense, if you will,” Steele said. “It’s coming downhill and it’s coming downhill fast.”

Despite not being “game ready,” Dinson said that the team was prepared to start the season.

“It’s no more talking about doing things that you want to do,” Dinson said. “It’s time.”

Share and discuss “Auburn preparing for 'locomotive' Washington offense” on social media.