Auburn student elected president of College Democrats of America

<p>Auburn student and former campus College Democrats Vice President Calvin Wilborn has been elected president of the College Democrats of America.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn student and former campus College Democrats Vice President Calvin Wilborn has been elected president of the College Democrats of America. 

The nationally known position will put Wilborn at the front of political issues in the college sphere.

"It is my wish to show our party and the nation how an Auburn student and members of the Auburn Family can continue to empower our peers across the country," Wilborn said. 

He said he was grateful for the opportunity to highlight work done by young progressives in red states. He said many of his peers felt like their work was overlooked until the election of Doug Jones. 

Wilborn turned his focus to the 2018 midterms when campaigning for the presidency. 

"Having served as vice president of CDA, president of my state federation and as a field organizer on campaigns, I felt I had the experience to lead college democrats across the nation," Wilborn said. "I wholeheartedly believe that if we are going to see a blue wave in November, we'll have to put in the blue work now.

As president, Wilborn said he will be overseeing the official youth branch of the Democratic Party. And beyond his involvement with students, Wilborn is also a member of the Democratic National Committee. 

Wilborn will spend his term making in-person visits to different states and chapters in the United States. 

He encourages students to find issues they are passionate about whether local, national or statewide and lead the charge on finding smart solutions. 

"With an administration that has a track record of alienating people — from separating children from their parents and placing them in cages to attempting to ban members of the transgender community from performing their most basic right to protect and preserve the liberties we all hold dear," Wilborn said. 

Share and discuss “Auburn student elected president of College Democrats of America” on social media.