Meet the campus dietitian

As a registered dietitian, Abigail Hickey knows a lot about food and wants to share that knowledge with the Auburn Family.

<p>Abigail Hickey, Auburn University's campus dietitian, speaks with <em>The Plainsman</em> on Thursday, Aug. 23, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Abigail Hickey, Auburn University's campus dietitian, speaks with The Plainsman on Thursday, Aug. 23, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Abigail Hickey is regularly seen handing out food at Toomer's Corner or at events on campus where food is available for students.

As a registered dietitian, Hickey knows a lot about food and hopes to share this knowledge with the Auburn Family. 

“I’m just really excited to be in this position and have the influence to be able to go around campus and talk about the great news of nutrition,” she said. 

Hickey started at Auburn’s Health Promotion and Wellness Services in 2017 as a doctoral student. A few months later, she became the coordinator for Nutrition Services. 

Hickey works closely with students to help them create a personalized, balanced diet. For example, she assists students with food allergies to find suitable dining options on campus. 

However, she said a dietitian can do many things for anyone on campus. Most importantly, Hickey makes sure everyone has access to accurate nutrition information.

Social media is always buzzing with the latest trending diet, and it is easy to go on a Google search about new and better ways on how to be healthy. There is a mountain of data available on the internet about dieting, some sources less creditable than others, and that i what Hickey aims to help with.

“One thing we try to do is to encourage the public and try to give them the best resources to find the best information," Hickey said.

If you have a question regarding nutrition and health, Hickey is glad to answer via email, during an appointment or when she is at the Be Well Hut on Haley Concourse. 

“Eat well, eat what fills you up and eat the food you like," she said. 

Share and discuss “Meet the campus dietitian” on social media.