Meet the Ward 8 City Council candidates

With only three incumbents running for re-election and Auburn’s 20-year mayor choosing to not run again, there will be new leadership in Auburn

<p>Auburn's municipal elections are set for Tuesday, Aug. 28.</p>

Auburn's municipal elections are set for Tuesday, Aug. 28.

The Auburn Municipal Election is Tuesday, Aug. 28.

All eight City Council positions and the mayorship are up for election.

With only three incumbents running for re-election and Auburn’s 20-year mayor choosing to not run again, there will be new leadership in Auburn.

Meet the City Council candidates for Ward 8.

Candidates are sorted by the first letter of their last name. Incumbents are denoted with an (I) beside their name.

Answers were not edited for length or content.

Marlene Bowman

1. Why did you decide to run for City Council?

I decided to run for city council because I have a passion for our community and wish to serve. Our council should be representative of the people, but many have lost confidence in that representation. I believe that I can represent my ward by listening to their concerns and giving them a voice with my vote. Auburn will continue to grow, but we must demand smart growth that is reflective of the desires of its citizens. We should always strive to protect our community and what sets it apart.

2. What experience do you have that you think would help you if you are elected to the City Council?

I have lived in Auburn for 35 years and have watched it grow as we have raised our children here. I have been active in my community through volunteer organizations, the city schools, served on the Administrative Board of my church and served on the Dixie Youth Board as president. In addition, I was part of a citizen's task force to help find solutions to our rapid growth and the issues that it creates. I have always tried to stay connected to our community through service. This fueled my desire to serve and make a positive difference in our city.

3. What is the most important issue facing your ward that you would like to address if you are elected?

The citizens of Ward 8 have shared with me that the most important issue to them is safety and quality of life. They are concerned about the safety and quality of our schools as we grow too quickly. They want traffic lights at key intersections which have become so dangerous due to the increased traffic. Citizens are also concerned about the condition of South College and the lack of lighting, striping or reflectors on the street. Although this is a state road, the city should be aware of the issues and be diligent in asking the state for solutions. Ward 8 is also surrounded by many areas that are still in the county. The citizens have concerns about the growth around them. They need to be involved when development happens around them. We must do more to inform our citizens. If elected, I will work with the city engineer to push to resolve the traffic issues. I will also work to keep my ward informed and engaged through regular ward meetings so that we are always working together for the betterment of Auburn.

Tommy Dawson (I)

I decided to run for City Council because I wanted to continue my public service to the citizens of Auburn. After retiring from the Auburn Police Department in 2013, I wanted to find some way to continue giving back to the community that has given me so much. I feel I can continue to be a strong voice on the Council, particularly focusing on the safety and well being of all citizens.

My service in city government for the past 30 years gives me a unique perspective on the day to day operations of the city. When I was the Chief of Police for the Auburn Police Department, I was responsible for one of the largest budgets within the City of Auburn. I was a good steward of the taxpayers money and always operated well within the budgeted funds. As the current City Council member for Ward 8, I have continued to be very mindful that we serve the citizens of Auburn. I have been a citizen of Auburn my entire life and have seen a lot of changes in our community. I want to continue helping to provide the high quality of life we have come to enjoy to all our citizens, including Auburn University students.

First, we must work together to continue the low crime rate that we enjoy in Ward 8. Secondly, I would like to see improvements made to the South College Street corridor. I believe this can be done by working with Economic Development to attract new retail businesses to this area. I would like to work with the City Manager and the Alabama Department of Transportation to have a traffic light installed at Shell Toomer Parkway and South College Street. Street lights are also needed at Exit 50. Plans to reconfigure the intersection of Cox and Wire Roads are currently being considered. I would work hard to continue being responsive to the needs of all the citizens in Ward 8.

Elizabeth Hurley | Community Editor

Elizabeth, senior in journalism and political science, is the community editor for The Plainsman

@lizhurley37

community@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “Meet the Ward 8 City Council candidates” on social media.