SGA Senate welcomes two senators, set goals for year

At its first weekly meeting of the semester on Monday evening, SGA Senate discussed goals for the year and approve two new SGA senators, Carter Burleson and Reagan Law.

Law will represent the College of Education as a senator, and Burleson will represent the College of Education as an at-large senator.

Bri Thomas, SGA executive director of elections, announced that Miss Homecoming Conglomerate pictures will now be free for anyone interested in running. 

“We are pushing this year with elections for them to be more fair and equitable and accessible than ever,” Thomas said.

Miss Homecoming nominations are open and will be available until Friday, Aug. 31 at 5 p.m. and forms are accessible on SGA’s AUInvolve page. 

Additionally, there is an information session on Wednesday, Aug. 29 in the Office of Student Involvement at 5:30 p.m.

SGA also received a new advisor, Pearson Brown. Brown will be advising Senate, Schools Council, initiatives and outreach branches. 

He participated in student government as an undergraduate student at Baylor University, where he was in the senate for two years and was the student body president his senior year.

SGA also encouraged students who are now participating in the personal finance course to give feedback about how the course went. 

They are looking to continue preparing the course and improve it to best suit students’ needs.

The Tiger Sitter service is accepting applications until Sept. 2 at 5 p.m. The service allows undergraduate students to babysit the children of graduate students in exchange for service hours. Those interested can check the Tiger Sitter page on AUInvolve.

An idea for a University-wide Amazon delivery station was presented for concerns and criticisms from SGA senators. The station would attempt to eliminate stolen packages, as they would be stored in individual lockers for students to retrieve. This project is already functioning on other college campuses and would be free for both on-campus and off-campus students.

The SGA Academic Affairs team said they are encouraging professors to put tutoring materials on their syllabus. 

The team said that resources such as Supplemental Instruction are not available in many upper-level classes.

To close the meeting, Brown installed both Law and Burleson into the SGA Senate. With their right hands raised, they recited an oath swearing to uphold SGA code of laws and perform to the best of their ability.

Share and discuss “SGA Senate welcomes two senators, set goals for year” on social media.