Auburn falls to No. 9 in AP Poll after home loss to LSU

Auburn has dropped two spots from No. 7 to No. 9 in this week's AP Top 25 Poll, announced Sunday afternoon

<p>The Auburn Tigers offensive line during Auburn Football vs. LSU on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The Auburn Tigers offensive line during Auburn Football vs. LSU on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn has dropped two spots from No. 7 to No. 9 in this week's AP Top 25 Poll, announced Sunday afternoon.

LSU (3-0, 1-0 SEC), which beat Auburn (2-1, 0-1 SEC) 22-21 on Saturday with a walkoff field goal by Cole Tracy, catapults into the top 10 at No. 6. Auburn is now the third-highest ranked SEC team behind No. 1 Alabama, No. 2 Georgia, No. 6 LSU and in front of No. 14 Mississippi State and No. 22 Texas A&M.

In the loss, Auburn relinquished an 11-point second-half lead. Andraez "Greedy" Williams intercepted Auburn’s Jarrett Stidham late in the third quarter to swing momentum in favor of the Bayou Bengals. LSU quarterback Joe Burrow later connected with Derrick Dillon on a 71-yard touchdown to make it a 2-point game.

Auburn stalled out offensively to give LSU a chance for a game-winning drive. Of the 52 yards gained on the final series, 30 came from a pair of pass interference penalties on Auburn. The home Tigers would finish with nine penalties for 111 yards.

As time expired, Tracy drilled a 42-yard field goal to snap Auburn's 13-game home winning streak, a stretch that began with another last-second game against LSU in 2016.

Auburn hosts Arkansas and Southern Miss before its first true road game against No. 14 Mississippi State on Oct. 6. Following the conclusion of Saturday's games, the conference determined the kickoff time and network for the Arkansas game to be 6:30 p.m. CST and SEC Network, respectively.

FULL TOP 25:

1. Alabama
  2. Georgia
  3. Clemson
  4. Ohio State
  5. Oklahoma
  6. LSU
  7. Stanford
  8. Notre Dame
  9. Auburn
  10. Washington
  11. Penn State
  12. West Virginia
  13. Virginia Tech
  14. Mississippi State
  15. Oklahoma State
  16. UCF
  17. TCU
  18. Wisconsin
  19. Michigan
  20. Oregon
  21. Miami
  22. Texas A&M
  23. Boston College
  24. Michigan State
  25. BYU

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn falls to No. 9 in AP Poll after home loss to LSU” on social media.