Auburn gymnastics adds former Alabama associate head coach to staff

<p>The "Gymnastys" cheer&nbsp;during Auburn Gymnastics vs. Alabama on Friday, Feb. 23, at Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.</p>
<p>2018</p>

The "Gymnastys" cheer during Auburn Gymnastics vs. Alabama on Friday, Feb. 23, at Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.

2018

Auburn gymnastics has picked up former Alabama associate head coach Bryan Raschilla as a volunteer coach, Tigers head coach Jeff Graba announced Tuesday evening.

“We are extremely lucky and excited to have Bryan join our staff,” Graba said. “He has a wealth of knowledge that I think will help us continue to grow our program. More importantly, he is a tremendous person and I believe a great fit for the Auburn gymnastics family.”

Raschilla spent the past 22 seasons in Tuscaloosa, including the last four as associate head coach. At the conclusion of last season, which saw the Crimson Tide receive a top-12 invite to the NCAA Championships but fail to reach the Super Six, his contract was not renewed.

According to TideSports.com, Raschilla showed up for work the following Monday after UCLA won the national title over the weekend. He popped into head coach Dana Duckworth's office to ask if she wanted coffee. She responded by telling him he was out in T-Town.

“… Thank you for being more attentive (than) you ever have been since I’ve worked with you the last month,” Duckworth told Raschilla in a text provided to TideSports. “It did not go unnoticed. I’m stepping back and processing. I know watching tonight hurts but will bring clarity and growth with the right mindset.”

According to the report, current and former Crimson Tide gymnasts were shaken by the news. Raschilla was stunned.

“There was an initial shock,” Raschilla said. “I’m not going to lie about that. A little scratching your head and going OK, did that just happen? And it did.

“Bottom line, it’s like when you cut the grass. You can’t uncut it.”

At Auburn, Raschilla's role will be comprised of assistant duties, database management and assistance in program camps.

Raschilla claims a trio of national titles, 18 Super Six berths, six SEC titles and 15 individual NCAA titles.

“It's hard to put into words how excited I am about the opportunity to help Auburn gymnastics with coaches who have earned my respect by their hard work and tenacity over the years,” Raschilla said. “I am really looking forward to working with the amazing student-athletes on the team and the great people who lead them.”

Auburn opens its 2019 campaign at home against Iowa on Jan. 4, 2019.

Share and discuss “Auburn gymnastics adds former Alabama associate head coach to staff” on social media.