Electrifying special-teams plays 'reboot' Auburn in first SEC win of 2018

<p>Noah Igbinoghene (4) celebrates after returning a kickoff for a touchdown during Auburn vs. Arkansas on Sept. 22, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Noah Igbinoghene (4) celebrates after returning a kickoff for a touchdown during Auburn vs. Arkansas on Sept. 22, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

It wasn't pretty, but Auburn notched a win over an SEC opponent Saturday. 

It's not easy to tell just by looking at the scoreboard — the 31-point win seems impressive — but the Tiger offense struggled. 

Amassing only 225 total yards, its lowest total since last season's 6-14 loss against Clemson, Auburn's offensive potential was hindered by a lack of explosive plays and rhythm.

Luckily, a stout defense stifled the Razorback squad (1-3, 0-1 SEC) to only three points. However, it wasn't the struggling offense or impressive defense that headlined Auburn's victory. It was the fantastic play of the special teams unit.

Aside from a 2-for-4 day from redshirt freshman kicker Anders Carlson, special teams was the boost that the Tigers needed after the monumental letdown last week against LSU.

"Special teams is a big factor in our game," cornerback Noah Igbinoghene said postgame. "I think it can win you the game. When your offense and defense isn't doing as well, special teams can help you out with that...we showed out today." 

Igbinoghene's third quarter, 96-yard kickoff return touchdown came directly after Arkansas managed to get some points on the board. As Igbinoghene sped down the left sideline, Auburn fans cheered on a special teams performance they're not necessarily accustomed to.

"I just feel like I can reboot the fans and everybody to get into the game again, just like we did today," Igbinoghene said. "I want to continue to do it."

Last year, Auburn's special teams unit was lackluster, and head coach Gus Malzahn is the first to admit that. However, Malzahn knows this years unit is different.

"I think special teams is starting to become a strength and we've worked extremely hard on that," Malzahn said. "And it's starting to pay off."

But before Igbinoghene's electrifying return, a trio of special teamers — Ryan Davis, Arryn Siposs and Jordyn Peters — made their impact.

Peters was able to block a punt, his second of the season, early in the second quarter which was returned by K.J. Britt, setting up the Tigers offense on the Arkansas 9-yard line.

Peters almost snagged a second blocked punt in the game, but the sophomore admitted he ran past the kick. 

"it's definitely a morale booster, everybody goes crazy," Peters said. "I just love when a play on special teams happens, not only a punt block but anything. Seeing the sideline go crazy, everybody jumping up and down, it helps the team out." 

After battling for the starting job with Aidan Marshall earlier in the season, Australian Arryn Siposs has secured the starting spot. While punting isn't the most glamorous part of football, Siposs was not to be outdone by his fellow special teamers.

Siposs had a total of five punts on Saturday, averaging 47.2 yards per punt and pinning two of those inside the 20-yard line.

"Each week as we go through film, things you did right and things you can work on, it certainly gives you confidence to be able to build into the next game." Siposs said. 

And confident he was, blasting the ball 60 yards on a punt in the third quarter to pin the Razorbacks inside their own 10-yard line.

Lastly, Auburn's senior leader Ryan Davis made his impact felt not only with six catches for 40 yards, but as the teams go-to punt returner. Shifty in the open field, Davis is no stranger to making defenders miss.

Davis only had two punt-return opportunities on the day, but he made them both count. On the first punt of the game, Davis showed elusiveness on his way to a 48-yard return to give the Tigers excellent field position.

Ryan Davis (23) running the ball during Auburn Football vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Davis' name was called again in the fourth quarter when he returned the ball 36 yards all the way to the 15-yard line only to be stopped by Derrick Munson, the last defender remaining.

"It's big because when the offense isn't making plays and the defense isn't making okays, we've got another unit that can come in and make plays for all of us," safety Daniel Thomas said. "That's big for our team overall." 

After not being a bright spot in Auburn's 2017 season, this year's special teams unit has impacted the team in ways that don't always pop up on the stat sheet. 

"It's been ten-fold," Peters said of the unit's improvement. Every day in practice it's pounded into our heads that we have to make a play on special teams. 'Every day, game changing play.' That's our motto." 

Share and discuss “Electrifying special-teams plays 'reboot' Auburn in first SEC win of 2018” on social media.