Live blog: Auburn takes on Alabama State in home opener

<p>Jarrett Stidham (8) warms up before Auburn football vs. Alabama State on Sept. 8, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Jarrett Stidham (8) warms up before Auburn football vs. Alabama State on Sept. 8, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

After a top-10 season-opening victory over then-No. 6 Washington, Auburn football has returned to The Plains.

Gus Malzahn and company will look to curb their recent struggles against FCS foes with a home opener against the Alabama State Hornets (6:30 CT, SEC Network alternate). 

Follow along here with The Plainsman sports staff for live analysis and score updates.

- 5:10 4Q - Malik Miller carries the ball for 14 yards and a TOUCHDOWN. Shannon's PAT is GOOD. Auburn leads Alabama State 63-9. 

- 7:29 4Q - Sherwood intercepts Davis at the Tigers' 36 yard line. First down Auburn. 

- 8:23 4Q - Shaun Shivers leads the charge for the Tigers before punching in a two-yard run for a touchdown. Auburn leads Alabama State 56-9. 

- 12:28 4Q - Matthew Hill with a shifty run along the right side before losing the ball. Alabama State recovers on the 13 yard line. First down Hornets. 

- End 3Q - Auburn leads Alabama State 49-9. Auburn will have a second and six on their own 43 yard line to start the fourth quarter. 

- 0:29 3Q - Nigh returns Hanson's kickoff to the 39 yard line. First down Auburn. 

- 0:37 3Q - Davis' pass to Joe Williams in the corner of the end zone is complete for 29 yards and a TOUCHDOWN. Hanson's PAT is GOOD. Auburn leads Alabama State 49-9. 

- 1:12 3Q - Richard Jibunor takes down Davis for a 13 yard sack to the Auburn 29. 

- 1:31 3Q - Griffin King fumbles the punt return for Auburn. Devin Booker recovers the ball and Alabama State will have a first down on Auburn's 16. 

- 4:52 3Q - Harold Joiner takes a direct snap into the end zone for a two yard TOUCHDOWN. Shannon's PAT is GOOD. Auburn leads Alabama State 49-2. 

- 5:53 3Q - Shaun Shivers carries the ball for another 15 yards and a first down on the eight yard line. 

- 8:43 3Q - Shaun Shivers carries the ball up the middle for 13 yards and a first down. 

- 8:51 3Q - Craven's punt goes for 39 yards. Christian Tutt returns the punt 32 yards to the Alabama State 48. First down Auburn. 

- 10:14 3Q - Asa Martin fumbles the ball on the 41 yard line, recovered by Alabama State's Devin Booker. First down Alabama State on their own 41. 

- 11:14 3Q - Alabama State goes for it on fourth down. Jordyn Peters drops Rocker for a loss of 8 yards and Auburn takes over on downs at their own 44. 

- 15:00 3Q - Ian Shannon kicks off for Auburn to start the second half. The kick goes through the end zone for a touchback. Alabama State will take over at the 25. 

- End 2Q - Auburn leads Alabama State 42-2 at the end of the first half. The Hornets will receive the kickoff at the beginning of the third quarter. 

- 1:00 2Q - Whitlow carries it to the outside for 22 yards and a first down. 

- 1:43 2Q - Craven's punt goes through the end zone for 63 yards and a touchback. Auburn will take over on the 25. 

- 2:18 2Q - Derrick Brown drops Rocker for a sack and a loss of twelve yards, forcing a punting situation. 

- 3:16 2Q - Marlon Davidson gets a flag thrown for roughing the passer. The 15 yard penalty moves Alabama State to the 48 with a first down. 

- 4:36 2Q - Gray returns Ian Shannon's punt 15 yards to the 35 yard line. First down Hornets. 

- 4:43 2Q - Ricky Haley takes down Malik Willis in the end zone for a SAFETY. Auburn leads Alabama State 42-2. 

- 4:48 2Q - Craven's punt goes for 69 yards. Auburn will take over on their own four yard line. 

- 6:25 2Q - Big Kat Bryant gets the first sack of the game, dropping Rocker for a loss of six at the Alabama State 19. 

- 6:56 2Q - Schwartz takes the ball on a reverse, runs it in for a 23 yard TOUCHDOWN. Carlson's PAT is GOOD. Auburn leads Alabama State 42-0. 

- 7:06 2Q - Daniel Thomas intercepts Pearson at the 23 yard line for his second pick of the game. First down for the Tigers. 

- 7:32 2Q - Gray returns Carlson's kickoff to the 30 yard line. First down Alabama State. 

- 7:42 2Q - Peters blocks the punt and Devan Barrett returns the ball for a TOUCHDOWN. Carlson's PAT is GOOD. Auburn leads 35-0.  

- 8:05 2Q - Pearson carries the ball and almost finds room for the first down but Britt and
Dinson are able to stop him and force a punt. 

- 8:29 2Q - Darrell Williams almost intercepts Pearson's pass but drops it. Third and 10 for Alabama State. 

- 8:44 2Q - Arryn Siposs' punt goes for 36 yards and a fair catch on the Alabama State 16 yard line. 

- 9:38 2Q - Anthony Schwartz carries the ball to the right side for 15 yards and a first down. 

- 9:53 2Q - Craven punts the ball 44 yards. Ryan Davis with a fair catch at Auburn's own 26 yard line. First down Tigers. 

- 11:30 2Q - Carlson's kickoff goes back for another touchback. Alabama State will take over on the 25. 

- 11:30 2Q - Kam Martin carries the ball up the middle for 15 yards to the four yard line before taking the next carry in for a TOUCHDOWN. Carlson's PAT is GOOD. Auburn leads 28-0.  

- 12: 20 2Q - Whitlow carries the ball again, this time for 15 yards and another first down at the Alabama State 34. 

- 12:40 2Q - Whitlow carries the ball for 14 yards to the Alabama State 49 for another first down. 

- 13:02 2Q - Stidham completes the pass to Ryan Davis for 26 yards to the 37 yard line. 

- 13:12 2Q - Craven's punt goes out of bounds at the 11 yard line, good for 52 yards. First and 10 for the Tigers. 

- 13:20 2Q - Ryan Davis returns Craven's punt for 16 yards to Auburn's 21 yard line. Illegal procedure called on Alabama State who will replay fourth down. 

- End 1Q - Auburn leads 21-0 to end the first. Alabama State will begin the second quarter with a second and nine on the 26 yard line. 

- 0:50 1Q - Ezra Gray returns Carlson's kickoff for a touchdown, but it gets called back on a holding call. First and 10 on the 15 yard line for Alabama State. 

- 1:00 1Q - Daniel Thomas intercepts Pearson's pass, returns it 29 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. Carlson's PAT is GOOD. Auburn leads 21-0. 

- 1:07 1Q - Carlson's kickoff good for another touchback. First and ten from the 25 for Alabama State. 

- 1:07 1Q - Stidham's pass complete to Anthony Schwartz for 57 yards and a TOUCHDOWN. Carlson's PAT is GOOD. Auburn leads 14-0. 

- 3:30 1Q - Craven on to punt for Alabama State. Ryan Davis drops the punt but recovers it and gets the ball to the 19 yard line. First down Auburn. 

- 5:26 1Q - Pearson completes a nine yard pass to Allen, good for a first down at the 39. 

- 6:09 1Q - Carlson's kickoff goes through the end zone for a touchback. First down Alabama State on the 25 yard line. 

- 6:09 1Q - Stidham walks into the end zone on a five-yard carry, TOUCHDOWN. Anders Carlson PAT is GOOD, Auburn leads 7-0. 

- 6:55 1Q - Anthony Schwartz carries the ball to the left side for a gain of 11 and a first down on the 11 yard line. 

-7:48 1Q - Whitlow bounces outside for a 15 yard carry. First down Auburn on the 25. 

- 8:52 1Q - Stidham completes a pass to Kam Martin for 10 yards and a first down on the Alabama State 47. 

- 9:37 1Q - Hunter Hanson's 43-yard field goal is NO GOOD. Auburn takes over on their own 26 yard line. 

- 11:35 1Q - Pearson completes a 51-yard pass to Aristilde, first down for the Hornets on Auburn's 30 yard line. 

- 11:43 1Q - JaTarvious Whitlow fumbles the ball, Alabama State recovers on the 19 yard line. First and ten for the Hornets. 

- 12:29 1Q - Alabama State forced to punt after three downs, Craven's punt goes out of bounds at the Alabama State 46. First and ten Auburn. 

- 13:42 1Q - Auburn goes three and out on the opening possession, Siposs punts to Alabama State's 26 yard line. First and ten for the Hornets.

- 14:55 1Q - Noah Igbinoghene returns Hanson's kick for 27 yards to the 28 yard line.

Pregame: 

- Auburn wins the toss, elects to receive

- Punter Arryn Siposs has been announced as the starter.

Share and discuss “Live blog: Auburn takes on Alabama State in home opener” on social media.